PDA

View Full Version : hair algea

steve fedyk
11-28-2007, 02:00 AM
I'm having a problem with hair algea. I have a phosphate reactor and RO/DI water filter. Have changed all of the water filters and recharged the PO4 media.
Does anyone have any other ideas of how to deal with this problem.:question:

tang daddy
11-28-2007, 02:07 AM
I have that problem on only 1 rock in my tank let it grow long enough to pull it off, it should come right off but again that's only on one rock if you have a tank full of it then that would be very time consuming... How long has your tank been set up?

tang daddy
11-28-2007, 02:08 AM
btw any pics of your 120 sps reef reason I ask is I have one too!

Salmon King
11-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Have you tried a sea hare

Snappy
11-29-2007, 05:28 AM
sea hare, blue legged hermits, naso tang.

fishoholic
11-29-2007, 12:25 PM
I have a coral beauty angel fish and I had a white tail pygmy angel fish that eat/ate it.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
What's your feeding regimen? How often do you perform water changes? And...how/with what are you skimming?

steve fedyk
11-29-2007, 01:30 PM
My tank has been up and running for almost a year. I do 10G water change very two weeks, feed one cube of frozen food a day, in two halfs. I use bullet two skimmer in sump and 10G refugrium. I have a power blue, sailfine, potter angle and foxface. To eat the algea but they don't eat the hair aglea. The silver conch eats the aglea thats on the sand. I will try to post some pictures this weekend.

Shipwreck
11-29-2007, 01:53 PM
First of make sure you thaw and rinse the frozen food before feeding it. It contains a lot of phosphates and other junk you don't want in the tank.

Assuming you are not adding new phosphates (rinsing your food, feeding sparingly, and using good RO/DI water) it should be on the decline. Next find a few Mexican Turbo Snails. These things are eating machines but also buldozers so make sure your corals are glued in place. I threw 5 in my 120 and they eliminated my red hair in days, they even cleaned off the shells of the other snails that had green hair growing on them.

Reefer Rob
11-29-2007, 03:50 PM
You can baste the patches of algae with hot RO/DI water. Works good on Bryopsis and bubble algae too.

michika
11-29-2007, 04:16 PM
I had lettuce nudibranches, and urchins work for me. If your running a calcium reactor with a media similar to the ARM brand you may be releasing phosphates into your system that way.

hillbillyreefer
11-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Not meaning to hijack the thread. Can you run a bag of phosban or similar in the back chambers and receive any benefit? Just curious have a bit of a GHA problem myself.

Thanks
Brad Fedick

Der_Iron_Chef
11-29-2007, 09:49 PM
In the back chambers of what? Maybe I missed something. But running it passively would have some benefit, sure...

hillbillyreefer
11-30-2007, 03:43 AM
Sorry Drew,
I'm running a 24 gallon nano cube with three chambers in back. Thanks for the info. Will give it a try next time I make an order.

steve fedyk
12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I got a sea hair on the weekend and he just about eat him self to death.

The PO4 was coming from the frozzen food. I'm back to working dayshift instead of afternoon. I didn't know to rinse the food. I was putting one cube in a cup with salt water to thaw then feeding half in the morring and half before work. I was only feed frozzen every second day. The tank could handle that but not every day. One more learning experiment by trial and airer.:biggrin:
Thank for the input and helping me solve my problem.