PDA

View Full Version : Reintroducing a Trigger

Joe Reefer
11-28-2007, 01:46 AM
When I added a pair of blue throat triggers recently, the existing niger decided it would chase the female blue chin around. So I promptly fished the niger out and placed him in the prop tank for temporary holding until I could find him a new home.

Now my question is what are the chances of everything being ok if I were to put the niger back in? The tank has been re-aqauscaped since its removal. He generally was very calm to other fish that have been added. In fact he is living with a little baby clownfish in the prop tank. Should triggers just not be mixed? I am not exactly sure on the mixing rules of triggers? Any thoughts are appreciated.

SeaShell
11-28-2007, 02:30 AM
Just curious, but how did you get him out of your tank without removing rock etc?

Is this the Niger you were looking for a home for?

Joe Reefer
11-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Yes, I used a hook tiped with a mysis. It took less than a minute, fish didn't know what hit him. :lol:

SeaShell
11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
That's amazing! My sisters told me about fishing in her tank to catch fish, but to catch a trigger?! hahaha!

michika
11-28-2007, 03:05 PM
I have seen different types of triggers in a single tank, so I know it can be done.

I'm thinking provided the tank is reaquascaped, and your prepared to pull him back out if the offending behavior continues, you should be okay.

Aquattro
11-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I had a niger and a pinktail together, they got along well. Mostly.

hawk
11-28-2007, 07:00 PM
I removed a Naso after he relentlessly took after a new female Crosshatch. The naso was always peaceful prior. I wasn't sure if I should reintroduce him or not. After 3 months of solitary in the sump I put him back a couple of weeks ago. He has been great since. I never changed the aquascape but it might be helpful. How big is the tank and how long has the niger been out of dt?

Joe Reefer
11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
He has been removed for about a 2 wks and the tank is a 120 (48x24x24). You think I should wait another week and give it a shot?

Phanman
11-28-2007, 07:33 PM
what about the mirror trick to get him settled?

hawk
11-28-2007, 08:52 PM
I waited 3 months. I wanted the new triggers to have a chance to fully adapt to the tank and to put a little extra weight on to be in fighting shape, or to be able to withstand an extended period of hiding once the naso was reintroduced. Luckily the naso hasn't made one aggressive move and the triggers could care less that he is back. Granted this is the only time I have tried this but I would give it a shot with your trigger. Worse case is you will have to remove the niger again. I would wait until the Bluethroats are very comfortable with the new surroundings/routine. Good-luck.

Joe Reefer
11-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks Hawk.

Salmon King
11-29-2007, 01:50 AM
I have taken dominent angels and other fish out when intraducing new fish.I would put him in a net pen suspended in the tank.I would leave him in there maybe2 to 4 days depending how the fish was handling it.Then release them back in the tank.It has worked for me 1oo%.If the bully fish acts up I would just show him the net pen.That would sure settle him down.Fish are like a pack of wild dogs.When you intraduce a new one they all have to find there new pecking order.Do you notice everybody starts nipping each other a little bit.Ps really big fish I would put in a appropiat tank for a few days.If you wait to long your problem fish might get picked on to much when you put him back in your mane tank

Joe Reefer
11-29-2007, 02:19 PM
So if i wait to long to put the trigger back in there is a chance of it being picked on to much by the other fish? The scopas tang was already the boss when he left so I dought this is going to be a problem. What kind of net pen were you using?

Salmon King
11-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Yea dont wait to long to put your trigger back.I just bought one at the local ps.I would just hang it in the tank where there is some current.Fish dont need to swin around to get oxygen.When they are shipped there in those bags for a couple days.

Redrover
11-30-2007, 08:12 AM
The mirror trick works...I had good luck using it

untamed
11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
I think that things will be different when you put the Niger back in. Now, the Blue Throat is accustomed to the environment and won't be sending out "I'm intimidated" signals.

That's my theory, FWIW.