PDA

View Full Version : Shocking a system?

digital-audiophile
11-26-2007, 07:30 PM
OK, So I finally have my 60 up on a stand, I have it shimmed and the plumbing is all dry fitted and just waiting to be glued.

My question is : Existing sytem is a 90G plumbed into a 40G sump (approx 30G of water in it) now if I fill up the 60 with new SW and flip the switch on the pump am I running the risk of shocking the sytem. Should I say over the course of 2 weeks during water changes move old system water into the new tank until it is full (I would run with a PW and add live rock from the sump)?

cav~firez22
11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
When i switched from my 60Gallon to my 135 with a 30 Gallon Sump, I Simply mixed up a bunch of saltwater, and transfered everything in over the course of 30 hours. Didnt lose anything! Everything actually seems alot happier in the new tank. obviously.

sphelps
11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
It may cause some what of a shock, however it's just like doing a larger water change. Shouldn't have too much effect on things, if you SPS corals you may see a bit more of an effect but nothing deadly.

One thing to keep in mind is that you'll be increasing your net volume meaning you're porbably short on rock and filtration equipment, so try not to keep this going for too long, otherwise you may run into problems.

untamed
11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I think you're good...just make sure you aren't introducing a large temperature shock.

digital-audiophile
11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
I've two large rubbermaid bins I make my salt water in and bring it to the same SG and temp as my tank water. I have ~350LBS of LR in my display and about another 50LBS in my sump that I will move into the new tank. I run one phosban reactor and may add a second, but I do know the one thing I really need to upgrade is my skimmer. I have a Coralife SS and I empty it every other day becuase the collection cup is so small. Perhaps a purchase I will make with an xmas bonus if I get a good one :) Until then I just need to keep it empty and continue with my weekly ~30% water changes :)

marie
11-26-2007, 09:38 PM
I've two large rubbermaid bins I make my salt water in and bring it to the same SG and temp as my tank water. I have ~350LBS of LR in my display and about another 50LBS in my sump that I will move into the new tank. I run one phosban reactor and may add a second, but I do know the one thing I really need to upgrade is my skimmer. I have a Coralife SS and I empty it every other day becuase the collection cup is so small. Perhaps a purchase I will make with an xmas bonus if I get a good one :) Until then I just need to keep it empty and continue with my weekly ~30% water changes :)

You have 350LBs of rock in a 90G?? :eek: Do your fish have any room to swim?

digital-audiophile
11-26-2007, 09:48 PM
I have plenty of room, the thing is I have a couple really big dense pieces at the bottom of the tank supporting the rock work, I actually have a lot of open space. I may be overstating the number as its been a while since I took it apart and put it on a scale :p The more I think about it I think I'm really closer to 200-250lbs in the display tank, I've sold off some rock in the past year and didn't take that into account in my calculation :)

digital-audiophile
11-26-2007, 09:51 PM
hmm double post, sorry :)