PDA

View Full Version : Banana and broccoli

Salmon King
11-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Banana and broccoli are very good for your fishes diet.It is a way of combating lateral line disease.All my fish eat both including my lion fish

tang daddy
11-26-2007, 07:28 AM
when I first skimmed threw this section I thought you said bananna hahah,
what is banna and what kind of fish are eating these veggies never heard of that you care to elaborate?

Der_Iron_Chef
11-26-2007, 07:36 AM
I think he *did* say banana!

tang daddy
11-26-2007, 07:40 AM
man I am seeing things need sleep:eek:

Salmon King
11-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Angels/lionfish/clown/butterfly and tangs.It takes a couple trys for some but they all like them This was the highlight of a marine aquatic trade show in Germany.I have been using it for years

Slipstream
11-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Banna and broccoli

Thats the title.. So he *DID* say Banna.. lol

Aquattro
11-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Rob, you posted the same thing last week.....

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37137

Doug
11-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Banna and broccoli

Thats the title.. So he *DID* say Banna.. lol

so, and the point of this post is ????

Der_Iron_Chef
11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
I would hardly call twice mentioned spam mail...lol.

Salmon King
11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
I put this on fowl side because it has to do with fish.This is a very important to get this out because I personally have seen so many fish suffering from lateral line disease.

Salmon King
11-26-2007, 04:02 PM
I put this on fowl side because it has to do with fish.This is a very important to get this out because I personally have seen so many fish suffering from lateral line disease.You people that are sceptic you try it.

Aquattro
11-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Let's all be nice now...:) Thanks Rob for trying to help.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-26-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm half tempted to throw a small chunk of banana in!

Aquattro
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Just to back Rob up, banana is good for the fish, and I have fed it before and some of them actually ate it.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
How do you feed it? Just toss a chunk in and let it float around?

Aquattro
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Just like that...

Doug
11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Just like that...

For tangs ? And do the greens need to be broken down before feeding like lettuce?

Delphinus
11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Smaller chunks maybe? I remember trying to feed banana a few years ago after reading this thread, http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4695&

... but my fish sort of just looked at me funny as if I was some strange alien. Well, I mean, more so than usual. :)

Although after re-reading that thread and seeing Emilyb's comments about her CBB liking banana, I'm tempted to try again, just to see if my CBB will try it too.

Aquattro
11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Doug, lots of the fish tried the banana, even the tangs. But my tangs ate anything, so who knows. I did soften the brocolli when I tried it, although I never made a habit of feeding it. My tang was around almost 9 years without it, so they don't NEED it, and I'm lazy.

Salmon King
11-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Brocolli I use dehydrated.I had to buy 1000 dollars worth from the states .No where in Canada could I find it comercialy.You could also steam it because any other other way takes all the nutriants out.For banana I just break it into little pieces.

hollywood
11-27-2007, 04:31 AM
Hi I am wondering if you feed Tangs this combination and how often you feed it?

Salmon King
11-27-2007, 05:11 AM
You can feed your tangs this as much as you want.I feed them this first meal in the morning then some frozen food at night

Der_Iron_Chef
11-27-2007, 05:26 AM
Brocolli I use dehydrated.I had to buy 1000 dollars worth from the states .No where in Canada could I find it comercialy.You could also steam it because any other other way takes all the nutriants out.For banana I just break it into little pieces.

Wait a second....you bought $1000 worth of dehydrated broccoli?!!

Delphinus
11-27-2007, 07:00 AM
I tried feeding some banana pieces again tonight because I wanted to see if my CBB would eat it. He ate ... well, maybe one piece. Which is more than I can say for any flake or pellet I've tried, so ... although it's pretty insignificant it's sort of momentous too. I might try again. Although he didn't eat any more pieces other than the first one, he just chased after them and then gave up when he realized it wasn't mysis.

Tang ate a couple pieces too, but not with a lot of gusto, more of a "what is this, is it good to eat?" curiousity.

Salmon King
11-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Yes i had to buy 1000 dollars worth before they would send it.I have enough for 100 years though.I give alot away to friends and people i meet in the hobby.Cant take it with me.I tried really hard in Canada /even had the goverment trying to find some.Only in the USA

StirCrazy
11-28-2007, 12:29 AM
You can feed your tangs this as much as you want.I feed them this first meal in the morning then some frozen food at night

hold on here... you feed your tangs? how are they suposed to eat the algae when you are keeping the full?

Steve

bulletsworld
11-28-2007, 02:55 AM

ROTF! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bulletsworld
11-28-2007, 02:58 AM

Wait a second....you bought $1000 worth of dehydrated broccoli?!!

I know I shouldn't be laughing but for some reason these posts are funny. Thanks for the late night laughs, Drew. :lol: Maybe it me invisioning this in my FO tank and what my puffers will look at me like.

I find this Banana thing very interesting though. Thanks for the post. Looking forward to hearing from others that have tried. I know in the past I have tried spinach and brocolli with little interest. Can't say I have ever tried banana though. :)

Der_Iron_Chef
11-28-2007, 03:38 AM
Glad I can entertain. I'll be here all week....

:lol:

Salmon King
11-28-2007, 03:56 AM
I know I shouldn't be laughing but for some reason these posts are funny. Thanks for the late night laughs, Drew. :lol: Maybe it me invisioning this in my FO tank and what my puffers will look at me like.

I find this Banana thing very interesting though. Thanks for the post. Looking forward to hearing from others that have tried. I know in the past I have tried spinach and brocolli with little interest. Can't say I have ever tried banana though. :)

Did you you try to feed your fish raw brocolli .It is to hard for them.All my fish including my lionfish eat it .Why spinach.There is high iron in spinach.

Doug
11-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Blahhh. :shocked!: Thats what my tangs appeared to say to banana. Guess they are to spoiled already. Even my pig lawnmower blennie turned up his nose. :lol:

digital-audiophile
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
My purple and regal tang loved the banana. I cut it into smaller pieces and they just attacked them. I don;t think I will feed bannana more than once a month but it makes for nice treat.

Thanks for the advice.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Just curious to see if anyone has tried this again recently? I just saw a video on youtube where a CBB mowed down a piece of banana from this guy's hand! Nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYv6eBdtAbU&feature=related

Leah
12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
The banana was a huge hit with my tangs they are fighting over it also my herd of anthias
seemed to like it too. But I think they prefer to stay clear of the tangs. One is a yellow and the other is a hippo. It seems to be a bust in my other tank. My fish are very spoiled though as they get mainly frozen food. Oh sorry to bud in but I can't seem to post on here, I have a fairly new family member and she tends to be a slow eater. She is a juv. queen angel she seems to not be eating with much gusto. I have tried every frozen food I could think of angel blend, mysis, brine, frozen algae. She is not fond of flakes either. Anyone got a suggestion. And of course algae sheets. I have had one before and it ate
anything and everthing. HEEEEELLLLPPPPPP.

Trigger Man
12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
So how big of a piece of Banana do you use? How much leftover waste is there?

DEAD_BY_DAWN
12-03-2008, 05:00 AM
Ok tried the Banana diet tonight all the fish consumed it with gusto
Heres a list of fish that tried and liked it
Emperor Angel
Copperband
Tasseled file
Helmet cowfish
Japanese swallowtail
Pixie hawk
Regal tang

Der_Iron_Chef
12-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Nice!

Chin_Lee
12-03-2008, 05:57 AM
how do you guys feed it? i tried awhile ago and the banana got all mushed in the nori clips.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
12-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Well the technique i used was this
Walk pasted my tank remember some post of canreef about some guy feeding his fish bananas and threw in a small chunk and observed :)

Der_Iron_Chef
12-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Yup. Just toss a small chunk in. I think I may try a steamed piece of broccoli tomorrow and attach it with a nori clip. Less mushy than banana.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-03-2008, 06:20 AM
My puffers apparently love banana. Its never hard to get them to try new things since they bite everything that goes in the tank but I was surprised at how much they ate.

None of the other fish wanted it. My rabbitfish tried but spat it out.

Fishgirl
12-17-2008, 02:17 AM
just wondering how you feed them it, do you mash it up or something or do you just cute it into very small pieces, I have a beautiful blue tang I'd hate to see get that horrible dieases. So how much and how often thank you so much.

fishytime
01-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Just tried some banana today and all my fish ate it. Tangs, wrasses, angel. Cool

BlueAbyss
01-28-2009, 05:35 AM
I like this thread, and the other one, and the video showing the Copperband chowing on the banana slice... actually, that one made my night!

This (and lateral line / hole in the head disease themselves) illustrates the incompleteness of any given food... they are all incomplete, because most fish in the wild eat a variety of foods, rather than any single kind. Even the fishes that eat mainly SPS polyps in the wild don't eat only from one single head of coral, they eat from a variety of heads which will vary in nutritional value. This nutritional profile provides them with a little here, a little there, making up one complete diet.

So, everyone please feed your fish a wide variety of foods, whether it be flake, frozen, pellet, live, whatever. They'll thank you by having long healthy lives, and who knows even by breeding :wink: Thanks for posting this, it made me happy.

lammarkk
02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I might try some tonight and see if they like it