PDA

View Full Version : Reef Safe Paint?

Der_Iron_Chef
11-26-2007, 12:36 AM
I have the aerosol version of this (http://www.varathane.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=617&SBL=5) paint. Would it be safe to paint the inside of an overflow, provided I let it dry for a good week or so? I tried to find Krylon Fusion here, and this was the closest thing I believe I could come up with. It is "non-toxic and baby safe when dry."

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Did you try Canadian Tire for Krylon? I always find it there and have never had a problem using it inside the tank.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the tip--oops, I actually didn't check out Canadian Tire! But...the two paints actually look to the be same thing, no?

digital-audiophile
11-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Drew -

I've bought my krylon fusion from the Rona on Macleod and Southland.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-26-2007, 02:27 AM
Strange...that's where I looked last, and ended up buying this Varathane. The paints themselves seem to be the same thing, though. Do you know, Greg? By no means am I a paint expert :)

banditpowdercoat
11-26-2007, 02:32 AM
I got krylon at TimBRmart Also got this General paint Marine can. They do look/smell the same..lol I painted the back of my tank so wasn't really concerned.

digital-audiophile
11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm not a paint expert either :( I've only used Krylon becuase it seems to be hyped on so many reef forums and in my own experience it works great.

If it was me, I would hold out until I found some Krylon, just for my peace of mind.

If you are still looking for it and have troubles finding, let me know, I have about half a can of gloss black in my garage if you want it.

BC564
11-26-2007, 03:05 PM
I got my can of Krylon at Zellers in Forest Lawn.....and I was so surprised they had it....I was there looking for a timer.

fencer
11-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Two-part epoxy paint for potable water tanks (NSF 61/USDA/ANSI/AWWA and FDA certified and approved)

JOEL
11-27-2007, 04:04 AM
My glass overflows in the corner of my tank are clear could I
use this paint to paint glass?And be under water.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-27-2007, 05:22 AM
That's exactly what I'm hoping to use it for. I hate being able to see the PVC through the overflow...

JOEL
11-28-2007, 01:46 AM
I wonder how well paint will stick to glass. I think it would start to peel
after a while. Most of the time when you want paint to stick to something
you need to sand it with some kind of sand paper to ruff up the surface
so the paint has something to adhere to.Correct me if I'm wrong

JOEL
12-03-2007, 10:10 PM
This is how I fixed my clear overflow problem. I got 1/8 black acrylic and siliconed it to the clear overflows and now you can not see my standpipe in the overflow I think it should work good.

Zylumn
12-04-2007, 04:37 AM
Drew any Rona carries Krylon paint . If you can't find any I have Blue and black but the Rona in Crowfoot carries it.
Kevin

konaevent
12-04-2007, 08:16 AM
try totem... they always have krylon fusion any color... i bought couple today..

Delphinus
02-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Hey Drew, just curious did you ever find any Krylon Fusion? I checked HD and Rona and no-go (found some other Krylon products but not Fusion at Rona). Off to Canuck Tire next...

Der_Iron_Chef
02-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Hey Drew, just curious did you ever find any Krylon Fusion? I checked HD and Rona and no-go (found some other Krylon products but not Fusion at Rona). Off to Canuck Tire next...

I never did buy any, Tony. I think I *did* see it at Totem, as someone else suggested, but by then, I had already moved on to something else :)

Delphinus
02-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Duh .. Totem .. geez Ok I only live next to one practically. :redface: Totally didn't think of that! Ok, thanks! I'll check there too.

Megalodon
02-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Just keep in mind that not all Krylon paints are Fusion.

I got the wrong can once and had to return it.

richtg
02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Am I wrong in saying that the most (if not THE) important quality in a reef-safe paint is that it is INERT WHEN CURED? There are many paints that have this quality, most notably 2-part marine epoxy paint as well as some spray paints...

Der_Iron_Chef
02-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Yup. "Inert when cured" is the key.

Also, Tony, I bought a few cans of this at the paint shop on MacLeod Trail, just south of Southland Drive, sandwiched between Speedy Glass and Mr. Big & Tall (and just a few doors down from Adult Source!)....if you're still looking for it.