PDA

View Full Version : Why is red turf algae in the tank ??????

Skimmerking
11-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I will try this again after writing a freaking novel that I lost . Sorry for the long post.
I have been fighting Red turf algae in the tank 120 gal with a 75 gal sump. Skimming with a ATI BM 250 running Ozone @ around 50mg per hour for 3-4 hours per day. I run a BB tank with a Tunze 6000 and a hydro 4 with a Mag 12 for a return. I suck out the crap on a weekly basis. I have 4 clams in the tank mixed reef with a couple SPS. When Doug was over we were talking about this Red algae in the tank along with nitrates that I may have in the tank. I didn't think that i have Nitrates in the tank where I’m always cleaning the crap out along with 5 gal water changes along with 4 clams in the tank.

I'm getting a phosban reactor to help with the phosphates that i may have since i have red turf algae in the tank with some green patches here and there. Doug has a Algae scrubber that is is going to let me use to fight against the phosphates and ammonia and nitrates. Scrubbers are like having a DSB in the tank. For what I have read about. Another Mike has a 180 gal tank mixed that he found that when he ran Ozone in his tank the aglae was take somewhat away. and once the ozone was taking off the algae came back to an extent.

I know from all this reading over the years that not every tank is the same. or is it I can't see that being true now can we. Now with the clams thing how much are the clams actually consuming in the tank. Or is it when they get big enough that is when they are starting to consume. So here are some pictures of the tank with the red turf and a couple more of the tangs and the fox face eating form the clip...

P.s this is what i want to do put the ozone back on and raise the MG per hour to 75 -100 MG for 3-4 hours or run it straight 24 hours per day at the regular level of 50 Mg along with running the scrubber and the phosban reactor until the scrubber matures...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/asmodeus338/120%20gal%20mixed/DSC03507.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/asmodeus338/120%20gal%20mixed/DSC03506.jpg

note the red turf all over the rocks

Static
11-25-2007, 11:57 PM
asparagopsis taxiformis?

http://www.aquatouch.com/algae.htm

If that's what it is, then I've read a lot about people with bare bottom low nutrient sps tanks that were plagued with the stuff. It was taking over my rocks, and a combination of manual removal and Mexican turbo snails pretty much eradicated it. Not in the article that it has 2 distinct stages of life that look completely different.

Good luck

Myles

Skimmerking
11-26-2007, 12:07 AM
thanks for the link, mine looks like the bottom one the spider effect. going to see if I can get some mexican turo's snails. So I take it that ozone won't work then

Static
11-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Sorry, I never tried ozone, so I can't answer that for you. I did however find several threads on Reef Central on the stuff, you may want to look at them and see if anyone has better info for you.

Skimmerking
11-26-2007, 12:37 AM
thanks man

Doug
11-26-2007, 01:42 AM
Good link Myles.

I dont think its the same algae, at least at first glance. The link looks like a red hair algae, and Mike,s seems more of a turf algae. It has a spider like appearance, except where its thicker and even then, there is no vertical growth.

Almost like a cheap red carpet.

Static
11-26-2007, 03:40 AM
Good link Myles.

I dont think its the same algae, at least at first glance. The link looks like a red hair algae, and Mike,s seems more of a turf algae. It has a spider like appearance, except where its thicker and even then, there is no vertical growth.

Almost like a cheap red carpet.

It's may not be the same algae, but my experiences mirror the statement in the article. It states that the algae takes on 2 distinct forms, that were once mistaken for separate species. Mine started out as a red fuzz, about .5 cm high, covering the rocks. It later developed into a more wiry growth, much coarser with strands up to 5 cm long.

If it's not the same algae I'd still be inclined to try the mexican turbo snails, as they seem to have a taste for Rhodophyta (red algae).

Skimmerking
01-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Well I bought some mexican turbo's and nothing they have been in the tank for 2 weeks and still nothing to get hyped about they have done nothing. what a waste of 90 bucks.

Myka
01-14-2008, 02:37 AM
Well I bought some mexican turbo's and nothing they have been in the tank for 2 weeks and still nothing to get hyped about they have done nothing. what a waste of 90 bucks.

Holy crap how many did you buy? Do you have the phosban reactor hooked up yet?

Skimmerking
01-14-2008, 03:23 AM
I bought 10 of them, and yes I have a phosban reactor hooked up, along with Tropic marine elim phos that im using.

KrazyKuch
01-14-2008, 04:16 AM
are you running a calcium reactor if so your reactor will release phosphates into your tank water!!

Reefer Rob
01-14-2008, 04:29 AM
You need some Urchins. They're the only thing that will eat that stuff. It's too course for anything else.