PDA

View Full Version : Just moved back to Calgary

KennyKen
11-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey all, My name is Kenny and i just moved back to Calgary after nearly 4 years in the big smoke (Toronto)

Im in the midst of ordering a new JBJ 28g HQI from the states, i figure if i order it now, i should see it by the end of December if im lucky with the wait at customs.

Just curious what stores are still around, i used to live right by Big Al's, but i see that has since packed up and moved away.

Id also like to meet local reefers in the as obsessed with the hobby as i am, to talk and hopefully trade.

I look forward to many posts and discussions with everyone on here.

Delphinus
11-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi, Welcome to Canreef. :)

Big Als is opening a new store in the north, Wai's is still around, there's Elite now (not too far from the old Big Als), Red Coral in the NW, and Ocean Aquarium on 16th (not far from Wais actually - just on the mirror side of centre street).

Der_Iron_Chef
11-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Welcome and welcome back to Cowtown!

There's also Gold up on 17th Ave SE....not to be missed.

Where area of the city are you living in now?

KennyKen
11-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I live in Cederbrae now,

Where is this Elite located exactly?

I used to really like Wai's, i always thought it had good stock and was well maintainted.
But ill be honest, my standards are probably going much higher now after being to all the coral shops in Toronto. They are a sight to see.

Snappy
11-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Welcome home. Depending on what type of coral you are interested in will likely dictate where you decide to shop. SPS is fairly limited or even nonexistent at some stores. I am always for trades depending on what you have available.

kwirky
11-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Welcome home. Depending on what type of coral you are interested in will likely dictate where you decide to shop. SPS is fairly limited or even nonexistent at some stores. I am always for trades depending on what you have available.

including yourself, greg, what other sources of SPS are there in calgary? Anybody else on the forums who usually has frags available?

Der_Iron_Chef
11-25-2007, 05:30 AM
Ocean City & Wai's usually have the most SPS in Calgary, I've found. Luckily, they're practically across the street from each other :-)

kevinpaz
11-25-2007, 03:25 PM
I live in Cederbrae now,

Where is this Elite located exactly?

I used to really like Wai's, i always thought it had good stock and was well maintainted.
But ill be honest, my standards are probably going much higher now after being to all the coral shops in Toronto. They are a sight to see.

if you're heading north on macleod, you pass heritage drive, then turn right into the strip mall right before the jeep dealership... (the metro cafe is in the same mall - you'll see their sign from macleod)

Snappy
11-25-2007, 09:28 PM
including yourself, greg, what other sources of SPS are there in calgary? Anybody else on the forums who usually has frags available?
Gold gets in sps shipments from time to time as well.

balistidae
11-26-2007, 12:46 AM
I actually just ordered a jbj 28g 150w nanocube from oceans and they had it for me in 2 days for the best price i have seen yet

KennyKen
11-26-2007, 02:25 AM
I actually just ordered a jbj 28g 150w nanocube from oceans and they had it for me in 2 days for the best price i have seen yet

How much did you pay?
i checked out that elite aquarium today, and he quoted me for $800 with a stand.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-26-2007, 02:30 AM
If you're going that route, have you considered the Red Sea Max?

KennyKen
11-26-2007, 03:31 AM
No actually, i havent really looked at them.
i will take a gander now though.

KennyKen
11-26-2007, 03:40 AM
well i have compared the specs on both, even though there is a more volume in the red sea, and i do like the the t5 aspect...the JBJ HQI looks a little nicer. and for the most part the price isnt much diffrent

Der_Iron_Chef
11-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Hmmm. Actually, I think you're right :)

KennyKen
12-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Just got my 28g JBJ HQI today, looks impressive.
So tonight i figure is as good a night as any to stay home, order some zza and set this baby up.

Cant wait to start a thread about once it is cycled.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Woot!

KennyKen
12-15-2007, 01:53 PM
So i have just been able to set up my nano last night, and if you cant tell this is my first setup.
Im just curious about a few things, should i remove the media in the fuge and replaces them with LR rubble or LS to make it an authentic fuge? there is a sponge, carbon and ceramic rings.
Also, my airpump has 2 outputs for hoses, but it only came with one hose from the pump to the skimmer, should the second output be plugged?

Thanks for any input you can give.

digital-audiophile
12-15-2007, 02:32 PM
I think most nano-cube owners scrap the media in the back and mod it a bit for LR and macro algae.

Have you ever been over to nano-reef.com ? lots of great info on nano-cube mods. :)

balistidae
12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
both outputs from the airpump Tee together into one line to feed the skimmer.

As far as the media goes i took it all out and filled the basket with live rock rubble.

KennyKen
12-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I think most nano-cube owners scrap the media in the back and mod it a bit for LR and macro algae.

Have you ever been over to nano-reef.com ? lots of great info on nano-cube mods. :)

No i havent, thanks for the tip.

both outputs from the airpump Tee together into one line to feed the skimmer.

As far as the media goes i took it all out and filled the basket with live rock rubble.

Brilliant, Thank You very much.

albert_dao
12-15-2007, 05:40 PM
You shouldn't need to put rubble in the back, IMHO.

It just traps debris.