PDA

View Full Version : Why all the reactors?

Der_Iron_Chef
11-24-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm wondering why more people spend the time/money/energy with calcium and kalk reactors, and don't use the balling method with a good peristaltic dosing pump (Liter Meter, Aqua Medic, etc.)?

Skimmerking
11-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Drew I think its a fad that we go through.:mrgreen: My self had the CAL, Kalk reactors, i ahve a phosban reactor coming, Just to try it and to see if I can get rid of all the Red turf algae that I ahve in my tank... its like spider webs all over the tank...

I'm thinking of trying a algae scrubber from Doug on the board to see if that would work... so then I can get rid of all the reactors....

Aquattro
11-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Personally, I built my own reactor, so cost was low. Once it's setup, I refill it maybe twice a year. Pretty easy IMO. Oh, and it looks all cool and hi-tech, which is always a good reason to have anything :)

Delphinus
11-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Balling method is I think a newer idea. Reactors are low maintenance once dialed in, so that's a big plus. Plus, as Brad said, you can DIY easily to knock down the startup cost a bit. With Balling, you have to have multiple dosing pumps (peristaltic) and those aren't that cheap. Plus, I can't wrap my head around the really insane Balling tanks where they draw saltwater out because all the addition of this ion and that ion and hootnaut and whatnot ("hootnaut" - I just made that word up right now :) ) drives up the SG. Whaaazaaaaa????? That sounds kinda complicated to me (although I realize that you don't to go to that extreme with that method)..

Aquattro
11-24-2007, 09:04 PM
hootnaut??? :)

Der_Iron_Chef
11-24-2007, 09:07 PM
lol. It's like hootenanny + whatnot?

I guess I've just been considering incorporating a better method of maintaining stable Ca/Alk, and was looking into this balling method w/ dosing pumps(s). It seems like the possibility for ultimate control and stability is pretty great!

Having said that...yeah...having all the high tech reactors and cylinders does look hardcore. But more hardcore than a few peristaltic pumps? :)

Aquattro
11-24-2007, 09:14 PM
I guess I've just been considering incorporating a better method of maintaining stable Ca/Alk

Well, my reactor works very well for me, I rarely have to touch it once it's dialed in (which is pretty easy). I think one of the issues with reactors is making sure it's big enough. Mine is really large, and maybe for this reason I don't have issues with it.
And as Tony said, balling didn't exist when I built my reactor, and since I have it, and it works, might as well keep using it.

StirCrazy
11-24-2007, 09:17 PM
reactors are for us poor folk who can't afford the fancy pumps.

Steve

Der_Iron_Chef
11-24-2007, 09:19 PM
I guess I should have begun with the fact that I'm manually dosing now--I have no reactors or anything. That is truly the poor man's method :D

I'm just curious is all....especially if I'm going to spend a good chunk of change in the future on Ca/Alk maintenance.

Aquattro
11-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Drew, for a while, before I built my reactor, I just topped off all makeup water with kalk. This worked really well for my 75g with a decent Ca demand. Starting out new, I'm not sure which method I'd use, but I have been really happy with this reactor for a few years now.

StirCrazy
11-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I guess I should have begun with the fact that I'm manually dosing now--I have no reactors or anything. That is truly the poor man's method :D

I'm just curious is all....especially if I'm going to spend a good chunk of change in the future on Ca/Alk maintenance.

ahh.. simple then, after the initial out lay, reactor media is way cheeper than buying premade solutions, especialy in a high demand tank.

Steve

Joe Reefer
11-25-2007, 01:26 AM
If there is anything on my tank that is set and forget, its my CO2 reactor. I will admit that it was a little scary hooking it up the first time. Now I am not sure if I could have a reef tank without one.

Skimmerking
11-25-2007, 02:04 AM
I had nothing but problems trying to dial in my reactor. Maybe i dont get it. I kept having the alk too high, may be i didnt have a high demand for the CAL

Aquattro
11-25-2007, 02:07 AM
maybe i didnt have a high demand for the Ca

Very possible. I think to run a reactor, the need must be there. Unless you have a heavily stocked tank that sucks Ca, you're probably better with bi-weekly adjustments with a 2 part solution. Or diluted kalk..