PDA

View Full Version : How easy to fix leak in tank

Brighteyes_13
11-24-2007, 02:35 AM
been watching a possible leak in the bottom left front corner of my tank. been noticing salt creep along the edge, and now have noticed a bit of dampness on the wood of the stand.

is it possible to fix leaks? or is it a waste of time, and worth it to use it as an excuse to upgrade? (geesh i only started it less than 3 wks ago!)

if possible, how would one go about fixing a leak in the bottom?

04scoobysti
11-24-2007, 02:57 AM
I don't think there is an easy way to fix it. Probably would have the tear the tank down and re-silicone. If you have a reciept for it you could try to return the tank and get credit towards a larger one :mrgreen: The last time this happened to me i chose to upgrade... but my tank had been running much longer than 3 weeks:cry:

Brighteyes_13
11-24-2007, 03:12 AM
to resilicone it, do i have to strip all the old silicone off? how long of a procedure is this? how dificult is this?

04scoobysti
11-24-2007, 04:21 AM
you could just find the area where the leak is ( the silicone is probably discolored and lifting at this point) cut off the effected silicone and a little past it, clean it with rubbing alcohol and resilicone. Then let it cure for a day or 2 then leak test.
My 2cents

Zylumn
11-24-2007, 06:01 PM
I see your in Calgary so I have a 50g tank I'm not using you could borrow while you re-silicone yours. Let me know I live in the NW.
Kevin

Chin_Lee
11-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Clean off the salt creep and try applying marine goop on it first. Spread a thick layer over a much as possible without making your tank look nasty. Goop has helped me with leaks on fittings and piping for years. Don't see why it wouldn't work on the tank.

Brighteyes_13
11-24-2007, 11:21 PM
ive decided to upgrade the system and fix the tank!

i bought a 90g from a local with a stand. i will transfer everything over,incl current 20g sump. empty the 60g, resilicone it, remove the overflow and plug the bulkhead, add a few chambers and make it into a sump/fuge setup.

right now the 90g is watertesting in the basement... the thing i should have done in the first place with the 60g.

thank you for all the input. and thanks for the offer kevin.