PDA

View Full Version : advice anyone???

fiorano
11-22-2007, 09:30 PM
I've had a reef tank for probably about 6 months now but evertime it just finishes cycling and the water gets ready for fish something dumb always happens. First i added all my rock and had some fish and corals and stuff then i guess i didnt do ebough water changes and my water was so bad i had to put my fish in my friends tank and practically start over again. then right after i got my tank running good again the seam split and i had 135 gallons of saltwater all over my carpet. I managed to save most of the life in my tank and i got a new one and set it back up and im doing water changes and everything but for some reason and my substrate is starting to turn a brownish yellow color kind of like djion mustard and som,e of the rock is doing the same. and also some of the rock is getting dark red patches on it as well as parts of the glass. and i dont think its just an algae bloom because my friend said it might be some kind of bacteria or something and i was wondering how i can get rid of these 2 issues? would just getting more cleaners and such help and if so what kind? i will be very grateful for any advice :)

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 09:32 PM
From what i have heard, its a common issue with Newly cycled SW aquariums. Give it a little bit of time and it should go away. Oh, and make sure u get some cleaner crew in there though.

digital-audiophile
11-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Sounds like cyano and diatoms. Both very normal in a new tank. There are chemicals you can use but in the end they just fix the problem short term. Just ride it out for a bit, they will go away. We all go through it :)

Der_Iron_Chef
11-22-2007, 09:42 PM
I would say the biggest favor you can do for your tank is to perform regular water changes! Once a week would do wonders, if you're not already.

Speaking of...what IS your maintenance schedule?

fiorano
11-22-2007, 09:56 PM
thanks for the help guys. and i try an do a water change every week if i can but sometimes it ends up being ten days or something because i have to mix up so much water for it and stuff but it's ussually every week so i guyss ill just keep doing that and get a better cleaning cew and i guess itll go away :)

Slipstream
11-22-2007, 10:07 PM
I got a 4" snail, and a little 2" hermit crap, and they are cleaning up mine quite good. So once ya get a good clean up crew, give it a couple days or so before you see any difference.

fiorano
11-22-2007, 10:45 PM
i have a 125 gallon tank with about 120 pounds of rock so what should i have for a complete clean up crew for like glass substrate and rock and everything?

Snappy
11-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Your tank will likely go through various types of algae blooms before it stablizes. Eventually the more complex life forms take over but it doesn't happen over night. Hang in there, it will get better. IMO you should put a few fish in to help it cycle more naturally. Be careful what you start with though, the fish that turn out to be the one's you don't want later always seem to be the hardest ones to catch.

i have a 125 gallon tank with about 120 pounds of rock so what should i have for a complete clean up crew for like glass substrate and rock and everything?
Hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, snails and other scavangers and algae eaters. Conches and many types of gobies are good for turning the sand and keeping it clean.

andresont
11-23-2007, 02:09 AM
I would agree with everybody on all of the above.
Complex ecosystem will take time to stabilize.
Every time you change something (even like rearranging the rocks for example) it will take time to go back to stable state.
Every tank goes through many cycles especially heavy ones are in the beginning. After 6 month it’s manageable and after 12 less noticeable. (but then there is always an” Old Tank Syndrome” LOL)
Add more bio load and yet again need more time to make it stable.
So just like people said hang in there wait, and be patient at least for 3 month no fish no food just water change with RO/DI, clean your skimmer and chemical filtration from day one. You will be OK.
If you do have live stock already then keep it on less fat more protein diet. This way skimmer will be able to work better.
Perhaps get rid of the sand (slowly) way easier to maintain healthy environment, but this one is never ending debate though, worked in my case I use to have DSB now I am very happy with BB.
~

kwirky
11-23-2007, 06:21 AM
sounds like you're kinda lacking in time. maybe sit down and figure out some ways to make your maintenance a little more efficient. For instance if water changes don't happen as often as you wish they would you could streamline the process a little. Something simple as getting a pump to pump the change water in and out of the tank speeds things up big time and is so much nicer compared to hauling buckets. Long flexible hosing can be bought at home depot to do the job and you just have to snug it onto the end of a maxijet.

Get a little crafty and think of ways to make your maintenance easier. And if you think of something you think is cool let us know :)

oh cleaning magnets are great if you don't have one yet. Just do a quick whisk of the front pane of glass every couple days and you never get your hand wet.