PDA

View Full Version : Hofer Gurgle Buster

Der_Iron_Chef
11-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Who's built and/or is using a Hofer Gurgle Buster (http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html), in lieu of the Stockman or Durso? Any advice/recommendations?

Delphinus
11-22-2007, 06:48 PM
I've built a couple, I had one on my old 72gal bowfront and the 20g tank I put together out of spare parts/surplus I had lying around, also has one of those. It's basically exactly the same idea as a Durso but takes up less space so can fit inside a tighter overflow.

In general I find Dursos and these to be a bit hard to tune with the airflow valve, but it's probably more a function of my workmanship than the design itself. Instead of drilling holes in the pipe I just Dremeled out some large chunks and I think basically there's just too much flow capacity through the holes. So I compensated for it by putting a valve on the drainpipe just to put a little backpressure on it.

Overall I think these Hoffmans whatever they're called aren't too bad. Basically a smaller footprint Durso. Quieter than just a drain pipe but you do still get a faint gurgling sound.

My 20g is empty (actually I'd be running the tank if I could, except that I don't have enough electrical circuits downstairs yet so I can't actually set it up for real just yet) but we could fill it with tap water and do a dry run.. er .. wet run for a demo if you wanted.

SeaShell
11-22-2007, 07:09 PM
No advice or recommendations... just a (really dumb) question.....

Why does he specify a 5" length of standpipe? What if the overflow box is 24" deep? Does this entire standpipe get submerged except for the thin tubing that comes out the top?

michika
11-22-2007, 07:11 PM
I have one on my 24g. Its okay, but fish like to get caught in the coupling next to the pipe. Its works well for sound control, and its easy to adjust, but its a fish killer.

SeaShell
11-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Catherine, is it completely submerged?

michika
11-22-2007, 08:23 PM
I have tried both submerged, and not submerged. Fish death occurred with both types.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Yikes. Fish death...hmmm. Not exactly what I'm going for :)

SeaShell
11-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Isn't there a potential for fish to get caught in any overflow standpipe?