PDA

View Full Version : Few Plumbing / stand questions.

Todd
11-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Just sat down to take a hard look at what I will need to pump my new tank and I came up with a bit of a problem. I have a center overflow coming on a lay down 135. I had planned for a herbie style overflow (ie 2 drains), 1 return and 1 cord conduit. The tank is built, so those holes are there to stay. The problem is that the way I have my sump planned puts my skimmer very near the center of the stand, which would make maintenance hard with the plumbing in the way.

To minimize this I am thinking of putting 2, 45 degree elbows on my drain pipes and running the pipe as close as I could to the top of the stand, and then 2 more 45 degree elbows and dropping them into my return chamber. Is putting the elbows going to cause me problems? What about the horizontal section of pipe? I quite like the way I have my sump designed so I would like to leave that alone. (The return chamber is on the right side of the stand, and the drain pipes come in the center of the tank).

Also for my return pump (Reflow Snapper @ 2600 gph), I was thinking of putting an elbow almost directly after the sump, before the pump. Is this going to restrict flow to the pump too much? I don't think that it should be a problem as the manual doesn't say anything about this, and it also allows for the pump to draw water up, which I would think would be much harder then one elbow.

When my return lines go into my sump, what is the best way to plumb these to minimize noise? How far underwater / any fittings that I should use?

I plan on putting unions on, so that every section can be broken down. Would it be best to put the unions near the bulkheads on the display? What type of considerations should I have for moving the tank in the future for the bulkheads on the tank and the pipes that are connected to them.

So.... in summary:

1. Are Elbows, and a section of horizontal pipe on the return lines okay?
2. Is a elbow right before the return pump okay?
3. Best way to minimize sound on the drain line as it enters the sump?
4. Where should I put unions on my pipe sections that go into the display and what should I do to make it easy to move the tank in the future?
Additionally:
5. For those of you that have bare bottom tanks, what color is the top of your stand painted? What color should it be? (the rest of my stand will be painted black, and I am leaning towards BB).

Okay so that was more then a few questions, but I will be building my sump very soon and plumbing no later then a week from today (Wednesday)!.

mark
11-22-2007, 12:26 PM
1. elbows and horizontal drain okay (one of mine is probably 20 feet)
2. okay to elbow before pump, just ensure pipe (and fittings) are not less than pump inlet
3. just below surface
4. you'll want a valve on you return so look into a union-valve for pump maintenance. Drains, I never bothered with unions as figured would just cut out a redo.
5. have BB never painted the pink foam under tank, though now covered with coralline never could really see foam as bottom glass acted as mirror

Todd
11-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks mark!

One more question for those of you who have made / designed your own stands. I had originally planned for 6 feet (each one about 2.5 inches square) to be on the bottom of the stand. Now I am confident on the ability of the feet to hold the tank, but I was thinking of the possibility of wrecking the floor (in the middle of the biggest room in the rental house, a year after new hardwood floors were but in!). Is this going to be too much weight (ie pounds per inch) for the floor to handle without damage? The tank is going to be a 135, and the sump about 30g, plus a top up - and the tank is made out of 1/2" and 5/8" glass, and the sump is overbuilt as well - so it is freakin heavy.

mark
11-23-2007, 01:40 AM
My current stand is sort of built into the house, but my old tank (75g) had four adjustable feet each ~1" diameter sitting on oak HW. When I moved it after about 3 years there was only the slightest indent where the feet were. Basically had to feel as couldn't really see.

Would think 6 feet each 2.5" sq you're good but if are worried, could make some larger pads from some HW or HDF/MDF, could detail the edge with a router etc on set the feet on them.

Zylumn
11-23-2007, 03:04 AM
On my next tank stand build I will make a bottom base of 3/4 plywood with decorative trim surrounding it. Caulked and water proof to protect the floor (hardwood, carpet) as spills inevitably happen and it is nice to have a decorative, waterproof floor mat. I have seen carpet and wood mold under tanks. Also a little rubber under each leg to minimize vibration.
Kevin

Todd
11-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks again Mark. If you were alright with the 1" feet I think that I will be alight with the feet I had planned. I am also going to be putting some carpet underneath the feet.

Zylumn - I liked the feet idea as I think that it will make the stand look smaller and not dwarf the tank. I have a lay down 135 coming so it is short (only 18" tall). I am trying to avoid any heavy trim as well for the same reason. My stand wont be waterproof on the bottom, but will allow me to wipe up any spills before they go under the stand (Its a cabinet style stand, enclosed with doors). I was also thinking that having the stand up will avoid any mold / damage to the floor.

Thanks for your input!