PDA

View Full Version : Tank Lifespans

sumpfinfishe
01-27-2003, 12:11 AM
Hey all!
My question is: I have had a 27gl glass Hagen tank now for 5+ years, does anyone know if glass tanks have a lifespan and if so what is the average time to change over to a new tank.
I know this sounds like I'm looking for any excuse to go out and buy a bigger tank, but I 'm not- however someone may want to use this for a great excuse in the future! LOL :D
Only 6 more sleeps until the meeting :!:

"Tanks", Rich

Mak
01-27-2003, 12:26 AM
I remember hearing sumpfin about 10 years... not positive though.

UnderWorldAquatics
01-27-2003, 12:38 AM
if its a quality built tank, then you would expect at least ten years out of it, as long as your not abusing it, (like leaving it outside in the snow for storage), you should have no problems ever! Silicone that is used nowadays is great stuff! a tank that is used for what it was intended to be used for should last 50 years+ no problem. if you want an excuse to buy a new tank youll have to find a different reason, like "I deserve one"

sumpfinfishe
01-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Yes, I also thought I heard "sumpfin" of around 10 years. I would like to think that a tank could last 50+ years but I have a hard time believing this-I don't know why! All I know is that saltwater tends to break down anything-even solid steel, so surely it must eventually break down the silicone too! I'm also a little sceptical about the lifespan, as I'm sure there's a chance that some mfgs. believe that most fish hobbiest will only have a tank for 2-3 years and then give it up due to failure or boredom.

Dale D
01-27-2003, 06:21 PM
I've had most of my tanks ( all Hagen ) for at least 15 years and have never had a problem. I would think that you should get at least 20 years, if not longer out of one.

Although, I did just help a guy with a 72g Oceanic Bowfront that only lasted 3 months. :shock: :( Thats the first tank, new or old, that I have ever seen fail.

BCOrchidGuy
01-27-2003, 07:21 PM
I've still got a 33 that I bought in the late 70s, it was holding water up till last year when my son got it for his gerbils.

sumpfinfishe
01-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Sounds like I have lots of time to plan out my next setup. I only ask because I heard of a guy that had two all-glass tanks one a 33 and the other a 60 that both started to leak after 5 and 7 years of age. However I know that this guy has moved several times thus probably causing lots of stress on those seams. Thanks for the input, cheers-Rich :wink:

Son Of Skyline
01-28-2003, 02:31 AM
I have a 33gal Sea Star tank that I've had for at least 15 years. It's gone through freshwater a few times, turtles, snakes, fish only saltwater, reef, hamsters, mice, and anoles.

It finally kicked the bucket though...but it was because I dropped a speaker on it and cracked it.

A good tank should last you a long time :)

BCOrchidGuy
01-28-2003, 04:03 AM
That 33 I had was moved from Langley, to Victoria, to Halifax, to Vancouver, to Langley, back to Vancouver and then Burnaby. Just don't move them with water in them.

sumpfinfishe
01-28-2003, 02:10 PM
This is an interesting and not so surprising email response from the folks at Hagen regarding tank lifespans :!:

Hello Rich;
"All things being equal your aquarium should last for ten to fifteen years. Or, said differently, at ten years you should begin considering replacing your tank and start looking for sales, as it is around this time that the silicon begins to tire".

Hoping this helps,

Peter McLeod
Rolf C. Hagen Inc

Dale D
01-28-2003, 06:02 PM
10 to 15 years. :shock:

Time to switch the reef into a poison dartfrog terrarium. :D