PDA

View Full Version : Sump /' Fuge

Captainhemo
11-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Finally got my skimmer so I'm about to finish up this sump/fuge and had a couple final questions.
I had planned on having 3 sections : skimmer, fuge, and return, each seperated by a set of baffles This is only a 29" long sump so I was wondering if I really need to seperate the skimmer/ fuge section with a baffle? Would it be better to combine the 2 sections into 1 large one and just keep the skimmer area free of macro algae with some egg crate? Then after the fuge I'd have a good set of baffles leading into the return section.
Is there any draw back to doing this?

mark
11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
One advantage of having the returns feeding into a separate skimmer compartment, is it's a area where detritus can settle out, then cleaned.

Guess also to ask, what type of fuge? If your combined fuge is sand, then there's a chance your fuge might become a cr@p trap, though using a filter sock would definitely help things. If just floating some cheato and BB probably not a concern.

Captainhemo
11-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, was just planning on going BB and growing some Cheato.
I se your point about the cleaning though, having a piece of glass dividing the skimmer / fuge would probably make crap collection/removal easier...

Also looking for an inexpensive light fixture suitable for growing cheato,