PDA

View Full Version : one year old 7gal bow pictures

CHEAPREEF
01-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Just to keep up with everyone else and the picture posting. 8)
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/winterbeater/00006_RJ.sized.jpg
Full tank, cabbage coral, green hairy shroom, green star polyps, red shrooms, and a yellow toad stool. Blue devil damsel.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/winterbeater/00000_RJ.sized.jpg
Squamosa clam had him a little over a year. Maron clown, first saltwater fish.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/winterbeater/00001_RJ.sized.jpg
Devils hand.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/winterbeater/00010_RJ.sized.jpg
Green finger leather.
All the corals are frags from Duaine/russell from the Edmonton reef club.

Hope you like em. :wink:

Clinton

Bob I
01-26-2003, 06:45 PM
I like them very much. I hope we won't get in trouble for posting pictures here.

BTW, could you add the identification of the corals underneath the pics?

Also how do you feel about bioload in such a small tank? Does it have a DSB, and last of all do you do water changes?

CHEAPREEF
01-26-2003, 07:12 PM
The nitrate levels are at zero, as everything else is as well. Have been since i set it up. The LS ,LR and water started out from my 75gal that was sold. The sand bed varies from 1"-3 1/2", and has a ton of life. I also have a Aquaclear 500 on the back, used for flow and a fuge of sorts. It's flled with LR some sand and some various alge. I do a water change of 2gals every 3-4 weeks, just started dosing calcium and buffer to bring the levels up a little. Any more ? Just let me know.

Clinton

BCOrchidGuy
01-29-2003, 04:28 AM
That looks great, what are you using for light?

Dale D
01-29-2003, 04:29 AM
Nice tank.

I've had a 7 gallon bowfront set up for about 3 months now. Mostly low light stuff and a royal gramma.

Aquaclear 500 !!!! :shock: :D I'm only using a aquaclear mini on mine. You must have the flow turned down low or it would be like a washing machine in there. :wink:

That's a great idea to use the 500 as a refugium. It's big enough that it adds to the total water volume.

What lighting are you using over yours for the clam?

CHEAPREEF
01-29-2003, 05:09 AM
Would you believe 2 15watt overdriven fluorescents on a workhorse 5. The wierdest thing about the tank is clam being host to my maroon clown, and doesn't mind at all. Oh and the Aquaclear adds 1 gal to the water volume.:D

Clinton

Canadian Man
01-29-2003, 05:32 AM
I cant believe you fit an aquaclear 500 on that tank! Way Cool 8)

Dale D
01-29-2003, 07:02 AM
I'll have to give the aquaclear refugium thing a try. Did you put the heater in it to keep it out of the tank?

CHEAPREEF
01-29-2003, 02:12 PM
I'll have to give the aquaclear refugium thing a try. Did you put the heater in it to keep it out of the tank?
That was my sole reson for it in the first place, just worked out better. 8)

Clinton

Bob I
01-29-2003, 03:10 PM
I had a 500 once, and threw it away, but that is a whole 'nother story. I am having a problem understanding how you keep the flow down. The way I see it , it would be like a washing machine in there. :?

CHEAPREEF
01-29-2003, 04:08 PM
I just have it set on the lowest setting, runs through filter material and about 4lbs of live rock/sand. I guess the filter and rock slow the flow down enough, it's really not the bad.I have the same setup on my 10gal as well.

Clinton

Bob I
01-29-2003, 04:13 PM
I just have it set on the lowest setting, runs through filter material and about 4lbs of live rock/sand. I guess the filter and rock slow the flow down enough, it's really not the bad.I have the same setup on my 10gal as well.

Clinton

Am I correct in assuming that material is INSIDE the filter? Here is a cute one. I run a 300 with a Mini impeller. That slows it down a bit. Then I run a Mni with a 300 impeller, but it does not speed up. Must be physics thing :D

BTW that is a novel way you do things. There are those who say that a DSB less than two square feet does no good. I would think your way of biological filtration gives you more room inside the tank.

CHEAPREEF
01-29-2003, 04:27 PM
Am I correct in assuming that material is INSIDE the filter? Here is a cute one. I run a 300 with a Mini impeller. That slows it down a bit. Then I run a Mni with a 300 impeller, but it does not speed up. Must be physics thing :D..
Yep the cotton fliter material is just after the output. Then i have the basket thingy :wink: filled with live rock and under that is live sand. I also have the variour types of caulerpa.

Clinton

ron101
01-30-2003, 05:03 AM
There are those who say that a DSB less than two square feet does no good.

I think that refers to sustainability of sand critters for detritus/nutrient processing. Denitrification occurs on the molecular level so should still be totally viable in any tank.

Bartman
03-06-2003, 08:29 AM
Clinton,

I'm interested in what you've done with the Aquaclear 500 as a refugium. 8)

Yep the cotton fliter material is just after the output. Then i have the basket thingy filled with live rock and under that is live sand. I also have the variour types of caulerpa.

How do you change/clean the filter material? Have you got any additional light over it other than tank light? Have you rigged any thing at the exit spout to keep caulerpa, etc from flowing out? :?

That sounds like a great idea which I might try on my 10G.

Dorkel Marine 1
03-09-2003, 03:50 AM
Sounds like a car race. great idea. You got me thinkin. Love your tank pics.

George Muller

BCOrchidGuy
03-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Cheapa, I just keep coming back to this thread, I love your tank it is so amazing, Can you please post a pic or two of your aquaclear 500 refugium so I can understand how it is set up.

Thanks, and again, simply amazing.

BC_Grl
03-27-2003, 02:29 AM
do you not have to be careful about maintaining water parameters in a small area?
I am going to look at the possibility of doing a nano reef. Not sure if it'd be 10 or 20 g.

CHEAPREEF
03-27-2003, 04:29 AM
I checked my water parameters for the first two months of my setup. Nothing changed really noticably, haven't checked them in almost a year. No i'll effects. I only feed every 3 days or so and i do have calurpa ect.. for nutrient export so that could have an impact. I would say it's been the easiest of the tree i've have by quite a long shot. Just my $.02 though. :smile:

Clinton