PDA

View Full Version : Tank shimming advice

digital-audiophile
11-19-2007, 01:47 AM
OK, So I am one step closer to getting my growout tank set up. A fellow board member (thanks Neil!) built me a stand for the tank as I have very little DIY skills.

I moved the stand into my utility room where I have my sump and since the floor slopes towards the drain from where the tank is sitting I have a 3/4" gap from the floor to the bottom of the stand at it's highest point.

Now I guess my question is: is this too extreme of a shim, or is it safe if I do it properly and then the next question is what is the best/safest way to shim the stand.

Thanks in advance for your help fellas (and ladies :p) :)

Static
11-19-2007, 02:49 AM
I would suggest that you use something harder than your normal cedar shims for this application. I've shimmed my stand with a piece of steel, alternatives would be hardwood like oak or a really dense plastic like UHMW. I think that if you used the common cedar shims it would likely seem fine while it is empty but when you add the weight of water the shim will compress and no longer be the right height.

It shouldn't be a problem if you shim it properly.

ONce you think it's set up perfectly shine a flashlight outward from inside your stand and you'll be able to see if the tank is sitting properly. If there are no big gaps between the stand and the bottom of the tank, then you should be ok.

Good luck

Myles