PDA

View Full Version : Treat ich or ride it out?

mark
11-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Few weeks ago noticed a few spots of ich on both the Regal and Purple Tangs and after 3 days totally gone.

Was planning on setting up a QT then pulling out all the LR to get the fish but have been dragging on it mainly because not to excited on the idea of moving a whole lot of rock, disturbing the corals but also no signs of ich for something like 18 days.

Figure I brought the ich in last April when I got the Regal but except for the little outbreak a few weeks back, nothing.

Should I just buck up and pull my 145g completely apart or wait and see?

(other fish are a clown, 6 Line wrasse, Foxface and 2 damsels)
http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/images/misc/progress.gif

marie
11-18-2007, 09:36 PM
If it were me I would probably just ride it out (unless fish start dying) but be aware that if anything happens to stress the fish or if you add new fish you could get another outbreak.

And you don't need to remove rock and corals to catch fish. When I had a marine velvet outbreak, I just drained all the water into large rubbermaid tubs, scooped the fish off the bottom and pumped all the water back in using maxijet 1200s. I didn't have to move a single rock or coral and It took me an hour and a half from start to finish ( this was my 175g tank).

untamed
11-18-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm well down the same experiment. I'm leaving things alone and just watching my fish. My Achillies tang has always had ich to some minor degree. In spite of that, it has never visibly infected any other fish in the tank.

I've recently added a powder Blue Tang, who immediately got ich very bad. Again, I did nothing. His ich has now all but disappeared, but I expect it will return shortly.

I just have to believe that eventually, the fish will build up some sort of defence against this parasite. Meanwhile, it doesn't really seem to bother them that much.

I suppose it is an easy decision to make because the cure of removing the fish, treating them, and leaving the tank fallow for a time is worse than the disease at this point.

Borderjumper
11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
I would ride it out too. One two occasions I have had new tangs come down with ick. Each time I think it bothered me seeing it more than it bothered the fish. I fed the fish well.. soaked their food in garlic, and ran my UV sterilizer for 10 days.

Myka
11-19-2007, 12:42 AM
I say ride it out. Feed Selcon and Garlic with your food at least a couple times per week, keep water parameters impeccable, and your fish should be strong enough to battle the ich themselves.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-19-2007, 01:07 AM
I have had good success using a powerful UV sterilizer for getting rid of ick. Originally a 40w unit, now an 80w unit on my 210g reef.