PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances....

X-Treme
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
What are the chances of getting a mated pair of yellowheaded jawfish?

Myka
11-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Do you mean buying them as a mated pair, or buying a group and getting a mated pair out of it?

The first answer...quite unlikely. The second answer...buy 5, and likely you'll get at least one pair out of the deal. Whether they'll actually mate and be called a "mated" pair is a different story and reliant on too many factors. ;)

X-Treme
11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Well......not necessarily a "mated" pair, but a pair that share the same "home" and "live" together.

Delphinus
11-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I think you have to have a M/F pair for them to peacefully coexist long term. When I had this fish I bought two and while they didn't fight, per se, they didn't seem to get along very well, and only after one of them disappeared did the behaviour change to that of a more settled fish. I think they did actually fight and that I just didn't observe it, and eventually one of them just died. But yeah the behaviour of the fish when there was only one was remarkably different. Much more settled.

Supposedly, the pupil shape is different for males and females. Something about one of them is more oval shaped and one more almond shaped or something. Sorry I can't give better details but thought I'd mention this just so you can try some google searches if you're interested.

X-Treme
11-24-2007, 08:52 PM
I really want to get a pair of these guys that AT LEAST co-exist/share the same hole.......Any ideas everyone?