PDA

View Full Version : heater in sump

Salmon King
11-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Does a heater in sump work.My heater seems to be on all the time even though my tank is always 76-78.My thought isthe water in the sump passes through so quick does it really have time to heat the water or do all the pumps/power heads actually do the trick.Any comments would be appeciated.

Delphinus
11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
IMO, it has a lot to do with the total system volume, the amount of turnover flow, and the wattage of the heater.

mark
11-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Would think if heater wattage was enough for volume, with any sort of flow, system would eventually reach a equilibrium.

btw, I have a 300w heater in sump, ~200g system volume, ~1000gph through sump and heater cycles.

Salmon King
11-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I keep a double computer fan on all the time to keep temp down and keep heater going to keep temp up.Do you have a fan or chiller going all the time to

Bulltrader
11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I have a 300watt heater in the sump for 125gal and it is mostly off other than when the autofill dumps some water.

mark
11-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Having a fan on all the time probably explains why the heater is always on.

I'm running a controller for both fans and heater. One won't be on if the other is.

Skimmin
11-18-2007, 11:24 PM
I have a reefkeeper which controls my heat with a 500w titanium heater. The heater is set in the skimmer compartment of my sump. I have a bypass style refugium. I took the temp sensor and set it in each compartment of the sump and also in the main tank. It showed a temperature difference of 0.1 degrees so I'm thinking nothing to worry about.

Salmon King
11-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Thanks very much for your replies

Murminator
11-20-2007, 03:26 PM
I have 2 heaters in my sump and I don't think they have ever turned on :eek:

Could you try putting them in your overflow maybe that will work better

Salmon King
11-20-2007, 11:23 PM
A person told me to set the heater a couple degrees below my low temp.(76) This way the heater safeguards against the temp going so low it kills livestock.

Salmon King
11-20-2007, 11:24 PM
A person told me to set the heater a couple degrees below my low temp.(76) This way the heater safeguards against the temp going so low it kills livestock.

tang daddy
11-20-2007, 11:34 PM
try adding an additional heater!
I use to use 1 larger heater for my reef until a freind suggested for me to use 2 smaller, I scratched my head and asked why add 2 when I can use 1?
He replied if 1 small heater stuck on your reef wouldn't cook, the likely hood of 2 failing is very unlikely and if it did I would have to go buy a lottery ticket. btw total water about 180g and am using 2 200w

fishmaster
11-20-2007, 11:34 PM

If your heater is working properly, you should be able to set it at your desired temp, and it should only come on if the temp drops below that. If you set it low, you will likely have temp swings at night. I've found it hard to get a good heater that is always consitsant. Mine is working fine now, but I don't trust it. I'm thinking the answer is a good quality controller and probe element.

mark
11-21-2007, 01:43 PM
try adding an additional heater!
I use to use 1 larger heater for my reef until a freind suggested for me to use 2 smaller, I scratched my head and asked why add 2 when I can use 1?
He replied if 1 small heater stuck on your reef wouldn't cook, the likely hood of 2 failing is very unlikely and if it did I would have to go buy a lottery ticket. btw total water about 180g and am using 2 200w

There's definite merit in two small over one large specially if relying on the heaters own thermostat rather than a external controller.

Didn't cook a tank but probably came close once on my old 75g when the single large heater stuck on.

Salmon King
11-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks very much for the advice