PDA

View Full Version : Need your input please

niloc16
11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
my next step in this dino or cyano war is to shut the lights off. i was thinking of doing a 2 to 3 day black out after a large syphoning water change. now most of my tank is sps, do you think they will be ok for this length of time? i am assuming they would be because in the ocean not everyday is perfectly sunny, but i would like your input or experience. thanks in advance guys

Delphinus
11-18-2007, 07:42 PM
In experience, yes, SPS will handle 2-3 days no problem. It's about the length of time, actually, well, at least I think so anyhow, that you can do without worrying too much about reacclimating the corals to your lighting afterwards. Longer than that and you do need to think about reacclimating. The best procedure is to cycle your lights on say 15 minutes on, 45 minutes off (for the "normal" photoperiod, ie., if your tank lights are on 10am to 10pm then this goes on for the whole "daytime" period). After a few days you move to 30 minutes on, 30 off, after that 45 minutes/15 minutes, and then finally all the way on.

Anyhow give it a try. One piece of bad news though, don't be surprised if they come back. They are extremely persistent. It should knock them back though, and who knows you might get lucky on the first try. Just saying though, be prepared to try it a few times before you win the war.

Bets of luck!

niloc16
11-18-2007, 07:44 PM
thanks tony. it seems the new mh bulbs have slowed them a bit and have receded closer to the top of the tank so i'm hoping this may help me get a bloody foot hold. what a PITA!!!!!

christyf5
11-18-2007, 11:01 PM
definitely reacclimate your SPS to light after the blackout, this will also help the dinos from reappearing too quickly if you didn't kill them all.

Delphinus
11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Even after 2-3 days?

Or .. what about just planning to do the reacclimation anyhow, and try the blackout for a few more days ... if nothing else it should help increase the odds. (.. ?)

christyf5
11-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Well if you're doing a "dim tank" type blackout then you probably don't need to acclimate, however I did a full blackout including blankets over the tank. Even slowly acclimating some sps croaked.