PDA

View Full Version : salt question

tang daddy
11-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Just have a quick question about Kent salt, as I'm sure a few of you use this salt or have had experience using this salt is it normal for it to be cloudy while mixing it and how long does it last?

Salmon King
11-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Try sticking a powerhead in your water.Should clear up overnight if not I dont now if I would put it in the tank

michika
11-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Yeah it was somewhat cloudy when I used it, granted it was way back when, like 3 years ago.

Drock169
11-17-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm currently using it until I run out of it, its actually one of the "dirtier" salts out there, hence the cloudiness. I recommend switch to IO or Tropic Marin. Tropic Marin can be mixed and as soon as the water temp matches be used right away.

Myka
11-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Tropic Marin (the reef blend) is one of the leading salts out there right now, but will cost ya about $80 for a 200 gallon pail. I would also recommend Instant Ocean over Kent. You'd think for the price of Kent you'd be getting a decent salt...but nope.

Psyire
11-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Kent was bought by the same company that owns Coralife a year or two back, and they've had a lot of problems since then. QC issue's mainly....

EmilyB
11-17-2007, 06:30 PM
I have used it ten years. Aside from a bad batch, I've never had problems with cloudiness, it is crystal clear. However I do mix it for 24 hrs prior.

tang daddy
11-17-2007, 08:58 PM
thx for the reply guys but I had waited 2 days for it to clear eventually had to dump 50g of rodi and make new water. I have never used kent before must be one of those 1st time bad batch expeirences anyhow I was able to switch back to IO guess I better stick with what I know works!

Johnny Reefer
11-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I use Kent and it frequently goes cloudy and does not clear up after 24 hours mixing. I've sorta been concerned, but sorta not, and use it anyway. Having said that, my reef is far from perfect. Aiptasia, hair algae, cyano and a Colt; Open brain; Bubble that aren't happy. I just recently switched from IO to Kent. The problems existed before the switch, and persist, so I don't think it's the salt. Not the Kent anyway. Parameters are always good, although I might have an iodine issue. I'm not about to start spending $80/pail for salt. Maybe in the future, but not now. Sorry, not much help here. Just 2 cents for the record.

Edit: It gets cloudy in the mixing tote. Once I've put it in the reef, it clears up within minutes.

Cheers,

amoreira
11-18-2007, 02:14 AM
I use Kent. I like it because it has an elevated alk and calcium level (12 dkH and 500 mg/L or thereabouts). Every time I do a 10 % water change it boosts the alk and Ca levels. I read also it has good levels of trace elements. I do believe it eliminates the need for trace element supplements.

As for cloudiness, that may be from Calcium precipitating out into the thank because of increased pH or low Mg levels. I'd test for Magnesium and if it's below 1000 mg/L, I'd tend to boost it with some supplement. My tank is around 1500 mg/L. The pH stays around 8.15 (morning) to 8.3 in the evening. I try to keep the alk around 10 dkH (3.6 meq/L) and the Ca level around 430 mg/L. Note I also use a Calcium reactor (Schuran Jetstream 1). Without the Ca reactor, I had to dose every second day with Sodium Bicarbonate and Calcium Chloride to keep the Ca/alk levels stable. It was a constant battle and I was losing it. If you want to stabilize your water chemistry get a Ca reactor.

tang daddy
11-19-2007, 09:04 PM
I use Kent. I like it because it has an elevated alk and calcium level (12 dkH and 500 mg/L or thereabouts). Every time I do a 10 % water change it boosts the alk and Ca levels. I read also it has good levels of trace elements. I do believe it eliminates the need for trace element supplements.

As for cloudiness, that may be from Calcium precipitating out into the thank because of increased pH or low Mg levels. I'd test for Magnesium and if it's below 1000 mg/L, I'd tend to boost it with some supplement. My tank is around 1500 mg/L. The pH stays around 8.15 (morning) to 8.3 in the evening. I try to keep the alk around 10 dkH (3.6 meq/L) and the Ca level around 430 mg/L. Note I also use a Calcium reactor (Schuran Jetstream 1). Without the Ca reactor, I had to dose every second day with Sodium Bicarbonate and Calcium Chloride to keep the Ca/alk levels stable. It was a constant battle and I was losing it. If you want to stabilize your water chemistry get a Ca reactor.

CR already have one and have switched back to IO think I will stick with it aswell as I don't have the extra $$ to buy the good salt!