PDA

View Full Version : Please does anyone have someDamsel advice

Bob I
01-25-2003, 04:44 PM
The story is this; In my soon to be 50 gallon Fowlr (36x18x18) I wanted some inexpensive colour. Reading "The Marine Aquarist Survival Manual"
convinced me that Yellow Tail Damsels should be kept in odd numbers such as three, and should not be kept singly. So with some trepidation I picked up three. To make a long story short, the Damsel wars soon started. One was attacked consistently, and had very few hours to go before he was killed. I took pity on this beast and put him into my 20 gallon Mini Reef. He revived soon, but of course the Royal Grama does not like him either. At least it is not all out war.
The real question is this; How do Chromis get along with other Damsels? Would the addition of three Chromis to the tank with the remaining two YT Damsels cause problems? :x :?

canadawest
01-26-2003, 01:34 AM
Ahhh books.... Lovely anecdotes from often singular experiences. So I'll share my unpublished experiences.

I have had a wingle Yellow-Tail Blue Damsel in my tank almost since it's inception (nearly 2 years now). It's never caused a problem with any of my other fish, and is quite possibly one of the most docile fish I have. I mean sure, if another fish tries to hang out in his "area" he'll chase em out, but never to the point of physical confrontation and/or damage.

I also at one time had a school of small Green Chromis in the tank (6 of them to be exact). Again, never had a problem with them and the Damsel. I did observe the unusual situation where month by month another one would "dissapear". This experience has been shared by others I have talked to who have kept schools of Green Chromis. Eventually when I was down to 3 large ones, I traded them away.

Still have the Damsel, and he gets along in my 100gal tank with the following tankmates:

1 - Blue (Regal) Tang (4")
1 - Yellow Tang (3")
2 - Percula Clowns (1.5-2")
2 - Bangaii Cardinals (2.5")
1 - Royal Gramma (2")
1 - Christmas Wrasse (5")

Bob I
01-26-2003, 01:54 AM
The single one in the tank with the grama appears to have settled his differences, and is getting along nicely now. Of the two remaining in the 50, one is a little larger, and has staked out a territory. Unfortunately that territory is owned by the Lemonpeel. He occasionally tries to put the run on the Lemonpeel, but that only results in getting the Lemonpeel PO"d. He then gets chased until the Lemonpeel can no longer see him. It really appears to be a somewhat fruitless bit of exercise for both combatants. :D :D