PDA

View Full Version : Help with heat

BC_Grl
01-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Hello this is BC-GRL's husband, Andy here :lol:
I am having a problem with heat !!!! The problems are in the morning our temp is at 78 F . The mh 400 watt bulbs come on around 1:00 pm . The lights go out at 10:30 pm. The temp is around 85.5 F by then. I have two fans blowing air on the lights 24/7.
What I need to know is how I can keep the temp from going so high . I told BC_Grl I need to add two more fans, she says I don't . All of the lighting systems I've seen on here are in series (one pointing at the other) ours are perpendicular. So I want to put the new fans in front of the bulbs (meaning the fans would be showing in the front of the canopy) blowing the air out of the canopy. I figure this would keep the temp. down .

If you have any sugestions, I would like to hear them . Thank you Andy :)

EmilyB
01-25-2003, 01:46 AM
We have the perpendicular arrangement as well. We do have some space at the back of the canopy open - is yours entirely sealed?

Fans can also be more tilted/aimed more towards the water surface, not the lights. That will increase evaporation, and also cooling.

Mind you, it is -29 here......... :roll: :wink: so what would I know..... :lol:

One_Divided
01-25-2003, 02:12 AM
Andy, you don't want fans aimed right at your lights.. A bulb's proper kelvin is reached at a certain temp. So if your bulbs are cooled, you will be messing with the spectrum a bit.

As Emily said, You want to blow at the surface.. Evapourate the top layer of water..

I have 575w of halides on my 50 gallon with a 4.5" fan. My temp is 79-81..

BC_Grl
01-25-2003, 02:18 AM
I guess I thought I would need fans on each side (either one on each side or one each front & back).
But the heaters aren't really on. And 87 is getting a little warm.
I will try angling the fans because they are pointing directly at the fans.
Thanks.

Andy

Mak
01-25-2003, 04:11 AM
Might want to add a couple of vents if you don't have'em already.

Canadian Man
01-25-2003, 04:56 AM
Have 1 fan blowing in and out blowing out, across the tank. works for me!

Aquattro
01-25-2003, 05:05 AM
Andy, I sent Jeanna an email describing the fan at the water and not the lights thing. Did you guys get it? I thought I explained this all very well. See if the email got to you!!
If not, here we go. Open the back a bit to allow air to move out of the canopy area. Have fans blowing from each side INTO your canopy at the water's surface. This causes evaporative cooling to take place. If you cool the bulbs, the light can shift. If does NOT matter what direction your bulbs face..they generate the same heat onto the water. Please ask away if this isn't clear!!

Delphinus
01-25-2003, 05:14 AM
Just a thought, a fan over the sump might also help with the evaporative cooling effect if the heat gets really crazy.

Aquattro
01-25-2003, 05:14 AM
oh, and for reference...

http://www.portablecoolers.com/evap/evap.html