PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp

BC_Grl
01-24-2003, 03:46 AM
*Edited*
We have been looking at acquiring shrimp (hopefully a M/F pair). What I am having a hard time is figuring out the differences between:
* Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp (lysmata debelius)
* Scarlet Skunk Cleaner (lysmata amboinensis)
* Cleaner Shrimp (lysmata grabhami)

These 3 sounds so much the same from a couple of articles I've been reading -except the Scarlet Cleaner is the smaller of the 3. Is it really based upon price? I added the latin terms as some we've talked to call all of them "cleaner" shrimp- but which one?
Thanks.

Aquattro
01-24-2003, 04:11 AM
Best ones for what? Coral banded don't like other shrimp, so I'm told.

The others are all fine. Skunk cleaners are nice. Peppermints can eat aptaisia. Scarlets are, well, scarlet!!

Samw
01-24-2003, 04:44 AM
Cleaner shrimps are hermaphroditic so any pair should be able to mate. The fire cleaner shrimp are a bit more shy than the regular cleaners but are more colorful. I have 2 of each in my tank and they are peaceful and always have eggs on them. I'm always having hatchings at least once a week.

Delphinus
01-24-2003, 05:01 AM
I always thought L. debelius was sometimes referred to as "fire shrimp" or "blood shrimp" and the common names "skunk cleaners" and "scarlet cleaners" both referred to L. grabhami. Oh well, that's the problem with common names, they're all over the place.

Anyways. This is what I can tell you. Cleaners (um ... I only really think of "skunk cleaners" as cleaners) are really the ones that are the most bold of all three. I find peppermints tend to be shy and nocturnal, so you can rarely see them; and fire shrimp are either nocturnal or from deeper water (or perhaps both) and so are even more shy (i.e., you'll hardly ever see them).

Right now I have 4 cleaners in my 75g, they make a great group. The are not shy at all, they're great to look at, and they even form "cleaning stations."

Lysmata sp. (all three) are "simultaneous hermaphrodites" (how's that for a mouthful) which means that as long as you have two or more, they will breed. I've never tried fire shrimp but I would assume they're the same as peppermints and cleaners. Peppermints have for sure been raised in captivity, I've heard mixed stories about cleaners as to whether they've really been raised in captivity or not. Suffice it to say, unless you're prepared to specifically try to raise the larvae, the tankmates (fish, corals, the parent shrimp :eek: , ...) will all have a spectacular feast the night the eggs hatch. (The shrimp carry the eggs until they hatch, which seems to happen shortly after lights-out.) It sounds kind of brutal, but on the other hand ... you couldn't ask for a better food...

Ummm let's see what else can I think of. They're all theivous little pests (I use the term affectionately though :lol: ) that will need to be well fed otherwise they will form maurauding (sp.?) hordes that steal food from anyone they can steal from. (Particularly from slow feeders, i.e., anemones, LPS). Have heard mixed stories about reef suitability of peppermints, but I've never had a problem with them myself.

Anyways these comments are based only on my experiences. My peppermints never touched aiptasia which was the original reason I bought them, so your mileage may vary if you buy them for that reason. I think, now don't quote me on this, but I think that there are two species of Lysmata shrimp that are called "peppermints" and they look identical, except that they come from different places (maybe one is Pacific and one is Carribean or something like that), so there mmmmmight be cases of possible mistaken identity when it comes to peppermints. (Disclaimer: {As usual} I really have no idea what I'm talking about at the best of times, so don't listen to me... :) )

Hope this helps though! cheers 8)

Troy F
01-24-2003, 05:23 AM
Tony the camel back and peppermint look an awful lot alike but are actually different.

stephane
01-24-2003, 02:25 PM
Ummm let's see what else can I think of. They're all theivous little pests (I use the term affectionately though ) that will need to be well fed otherwise they will form maurauding (sp.?) hordes that steal food from anyone they can steal from. (Particularly from slow feeders, i.e., anemones, LPS). Have heard mixed stories about reef suitability of peppermints, but I've never had a problem with them myself

I agree 100% witht hat part those small baster can open a coral to steal wath it have in is stomac! but they are beautiful baster :D

StirCrazy
01-24-2003, 02:54 PM
*Edited*
We have been looking at acquiring shrimp (hopefully a M/F pair). What I am having a hard time is figuring out the differences between:
* Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp (lysmata debelius)
* Scarlet Skunk Cleaner (lysmata amboinensis)
* Cleaner Shrimp (lysmata grabhami)

ok a couple mis nammings,

the lysmata amboinensis is a cleaner shrimp or a scarlet cleaner shrimp or even knowen as a skunk cleanershrimp because of there white stripe.

The lysmata grabhami is almost identical to the lysmata amboinensis except it has even less red on it (very simular and easy to confuse.. hmm I have to go look at mine again to make sure which one I have LOL)

The lysmata debelius is the one that is a briliant red with white dots and white legs which you see refert to as a fire cleaner shrimp a lot.. (see J&L's page)

The Lysmata wurdemanni, is the Peppermint shrimp that you want.. no other "pepermint shrimp" is knowen for aptasia controle. I have two of thease and also a Lysmata rathbunae which is also sold as a "Pepermint shrimp" but has never touched a aptasia.. the other two cleaned it out of my tank.

My recomendation would be to get Plain old "Cleaner shrimp" which will be either The lysmata grabhami or lysmata amboinensis. they do need to be aclimated very slowly in order to be sucessfull. the "firshrimp have a tendancy to hide more.

Steve

BC_Grl
01-25-2003, 12:47 AM
Misnamers? Guess that would depend upon which book you've read and which site you're reading. Wouldn't it? Some of the names you've given are additions (I didn't write down all of the names people call them) But I got my names from Baensch Marine Atlas Vol 1. and this site http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=525.
The book I am reading (Baensch) says that big differences between the Amboinensis and grabhami is the "A" has dots on the tail and the "G" doesn't. But both have a white stripe down the back.
I've gone to the J&L site, but found it not helpful. In fact, John emailed me saying he cannot sex the shrimp and sell me a M & F when a couple of you have said they are hermaphrodites. And he doesn't carry the Amboinensis species.

It is confusing when animals (and corals for that matter) share so many common names. Don't you think?

Delphinus
01-25-2003, 12:55 AM
It is confusing when animals (and corals for that matter) share so many common names. Don't you think?

I totally agree, which is why I try to go latin name whenever possible. The common names are all over the map. Latin names ... well even they can be contestable but less so than common names. Of course going by latin names tends to get a lot of eyes rolling (and the nickname a "nerd" ...) ... so you cannot win! :lol: Oh well.

In fact, John emailed me saying he cannot sex the shrimp and sell me a M & F when a couple of you have said they are hermaphrodites. And he doesn't carry the Amboinensis species.

I promise you that they are hermaphrodites. Don't worry about it: just get two, and they will spawn on you. :)

StirCrazy
01-25-2003, 01:21 AM
And he doesn't carry the Amboinensis species.

LOL, he does sometimes.. thats whare I got mine :wink: I think the LSF don't worry about the two.. they get commen cleaners and thats what they ordered.. and I think John might be a little busy to identify them, by the way the easyest way to tell them apart is by the tail.. mine are a Amboinensis and they did come from J&L.

I only mention the different version because when you hear scarlet cleaner shrimp people think of the fire cleaner shrimp.. which I have seen called both :roll: also the different type or pepermint shrimp could acount for why some people have luck with the aptasia controle and why some don't.

both types of shrimp I have are out all the time (unless I have been screwing around with the tank :wink: ) and if they are not out will come out if they see you trying to find them. even my pepermint shrimp are out about 50% of the time or more now. on the other hand I never see Brad's when I am over there..

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
01-25-2003, 10:02 PM
Common names are bad enough but I foung especially with African Cichlids, the latin names were being changed as often as the experts were changing their underwear.... I have cleaner (skunks) and peppermint shrimp, they all breed often, but the peppermints seem to have less trouble growing, I've not yet raised any to adult hood but I am going to try.

Van down by the river
01-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Samw is correct any two are a pair. makes being a matchmaker easy huh?

What's the difference?
Distribution.
Lysmata grabhami - with solid lines on the tail is the Atlantic species

Lysmata amboinensis- has white patches on the tail and is Indo Pacific to Red sea.
Chances are more of you have L.amboinensis as a larger portion of shipments are Indo Pacific than Caribean.

As far as the Peppermint shrimp goes I found 6 very similiar species that all could be labeled as Peppermint shrimps.

BC_Grl
01-29-2003, 03:49 AM
Wow...6 species that can be ID'd as peppermint? Holy cow.

Thanks so much for your help.

Van down by the river
01-29-2003, 07:23 AM
They are not all called Peppermint but are very similiar in appearance and could easily be mis identified.