PDA

View Full Version : Pink Stylophora

Aquattro
01-24-2003, 03:06 AM
I bought this acouple of weeks ago from the LFS. It was almost completely white, but I figured I could save it. Glad I did.

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/pink2.jpg

zulu_principle
01-24-2003, 03:14 AM
Nice save.....

Aquattro
01-24-2003, 03:19 AM
What sucks is there was a purple one also, but I could only grab one. The purple one is now a skeleton at the LFS.

christyf5
01-24-2003, 03:22 AM
Absolutely beautiful!! When/if you frag that one, can I be first in line?? :wink:

Christy :)

Josh23
01-24-2003, 03:22 AM
how is it that you save a coral like that. Is it just a matter of adding it to a established aquarium with proper lighting and water conditions and then waiting.

Just interested

MitchM
01-24-2003, 03:26 AM
Nice! :D

I did the same thing with a pocillipora a few years ago.

I was at my LFS today while he was unpacking his 3 separate shipments today.....all three shipments were delayed 24 hours each..... :evil:

You should have seen the shape the livestock was in..... :(
People complain about the shape of livestock (fish and corals) that are offered for sale - but there's not much the LFS owner can do when it arrives sick or bleached.

Mitch :?

zulu_principle
01-24-2003, 03:27 AM
A great spot to see the growth in this species.

http://www.qis.net/~ckkuehn/stylopcompare.htm

StirCrazy
01-24-2003, 03:29 AM
Nice! :D

but there's not much the LFS owner can do when it arrives sick or bleached.

Mitch :?

Mitch, thats not always the case.. a lot of time it is also because the conditions at the LFS are less than desiriable

Steve

MitchM
01-24-2003, 03:34 AM
Yes Steve, but if it arrives in bad condition..... :roll:

It should be obvious in other ways if an LFS is keeping corals in less than desirable conditions.

Mitch

Aquattro
01-24-2003, 03:53 AM
Josh, yes, I knew my tank is much better than the LFS tank and felt it would recover for me. I have made that gamble before and lost though..

Aquattro
01-24-2003, 03:55 AM
Yes Steve, but if it arrives in bad condition..... :roll:

Mitch

As an example, our LFS once had a shipment stay at the airport overnight. The box said Perishable:Fish on it so the airport put it in the freezer to keep it fresh. How thoughtful..... :roll:

Aquattro
01-24-2003, 04:15 AM
Absolutely beautiful!! When/if you frag that one, can I be first in line?? :wink:

Christy :)

Christy, I'll go write your name on a branch. I will be cutting 3 frags from it shortly, and that will be it until it grows a bit more.

MitchM
01-24-2003, 08:13 AM
As an example, our LFS once had a shipment stay at the airport overnight. The box said Perishable:Fish on it so the airport put it in the freezer to keep it fresh. How thoughtful..... :roll:

I think I read once that tropical fish shipments were on the priority list as far as airlines go after cadavers. :lol: .... :?:

Mitch

Delphinus
01-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Nice score!

Brad, I did the same thing with a Stylopora, and I'm sure glad I did too. The only thing I want to mention though, is that it seems to be a slow grower. This is a solid coral, you may as well be trying to cut granite. Unlike the corals who grow 1" or more or whatever per month which cut nicely, heal quickly and regain the snipped off branches in time, I'm not finding this to be true with mine at all. I can see where I fragged mine three months ago.. So maybe go slow and see how it goes.

What kind of current are you putting yours into?

Aquattro
01-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Tony, I have it in a slow but steady current. That will change if/when my stream ever comes in, but for now it works.
Di you happen to look at the link Wendell posted? It had a growth sequence series for a year or so and that piece showed great growth!
I won't cut this one until I have an idea of it's growth rate and know it's doing well.

Delphinus
01-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Just checked it out now. Keen. Well ... that sure seems like a reasonable growth rate. Maybe frags are different? Or the colony is growing but I just don't see it on a day-to-day basis? I guess I'm still pretty wet with this SPS thing.. What I do know is, most of my other corals I make accidental frags many times just by brushing up against them with my hand .... this one, I practically had to take hammer and chisel it was so solid. I was maybe thinking that maybe "slow growth" == "stronger skeleton" but maybe I have a slightly different species? I'll try to take a picture of it tonight when I get home from work, so we can compare how much they look alike (or not alike) ... but be warned my close-ups tend to really SUCK so no promises how good it will be!