PDA

View Full Version : Fans for canopy

24storm
11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Was wondering if anyone knows where i can get some fans for a canopy i am building. The canopy is for a 230 gallon tank and will have 3 400 watt halides in it. I would like one push and one pull so i can put them at either end. They need to be very quiet as this will be in my living room. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks Keith

Joe Reefer
11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
I use the 4" icecap fans. They are variable speed controlled by a temperature sensor. Very quiet when on low speed.

24storm
11-08-2007, 03:35 PM
where did you get them from? How many are you using? do they push or pull or both? do they plug into a normal 110 outlet? sorry about all the questions hope you can help.

Thanks

Joe Reefer
11-08-2007, 03:41 PM
IceCap 4" Fan (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/lightparts.php?product_ID=ic-pfan)

They are a little on the pricey side as far as fans go. Some people use computer fans that can be found for alot cheaper though.

fencer
11-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Princess Auto has fans of all sizes

TRIX
11-08-2007, 05:18 PM
For the push pull just mount them opposite ways.

24storm
11-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I use the 4" icecap fans. They are variable speed controlled by a temperature sensor. Very quiet when on low speed.

Do they get loud on high speed?

Joe Reefer
11-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Do they get loud on high speed?

No not really....unless they are full of dust. But if there are kept clean they are whisper quite.

Joe Reefer
11-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I have seen some pretty cool looking fan kits on ebay. Maybe you should check them out.

barefootjimmy
12-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I was just reading you thread, and I went throught the same thing. I bought fans at princess auto and they work great. Some advice, only have you fans pulling air into the hood, as they will last longer. If they suck it out, they wont last as long due to the salt and other harsh environment that it sucks through the fan. Mine are strong enough to blow all the warm air out. You can get the 120v ones that can be wired to a switch, or a 12v one with adapters to plug into a wall, etc.

michika
12-01-2007, 04:35 PM
You can get fans with colored LEDs as well. I used to have a set over my 230g and they made for nice evening lighting. They were more expensive, but it was worth it.

untamed
12-01-2007, 05:44 PM
For the ultimate quiet fans, I used 220V computer fans - but wired them with standard 110V power. That way, they run at 1/2 speed. They are still effective, but they never reach the speed that generates that "computer fan noise".

The only risk with this approach is that the bearing on the fan must be good, or the 110V won't kick start the fan. While I was warned about this when I purchased them, it has never happened to me.

GMGQ
12-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I agree. I have 2 x 120mm computer fans blowing into the canopy. Granted that your canopy is not 100% air-tight (duh, who's is?), the warm air will find pathes of least resistance to get out of the canopy.

I was just reading you thread, and I went throught the same thing. I bought fans at princess auto and they work great. Some advice, only have you fans pulling air into the hood, as they will last longer. If they suck it out, they wont last as long due to the salt and other harsh environment that it sucks through the fan. Mine are strong enough to blow all the warm air out. You can get the 120v ones that can be wired to a switch, or a 12v one with adapters to plug into a wall, etc.

tang daddy
12-07-2007, 09:05 PM
also you can just cut a hole at the top or a slit even in the back as hot air rises, with the positive pressure in the canopy the air will be sucked out naturally.

kwirky
12-09-2007, 02:37 AM
I think panaflo fans are great and you get something much higher quality than those cheesy icecap fans. Compare the specs of an icecap fan to a panaflo and they don't come close and the panaflo fans are very high quality. Not something no-name rebranded by icecap. I think if you were to mount the fans on the top of the canopy and drill a few holes or carve out a slit on each side to allow air inwards would be a great flow design. That's from my experience with computer airflow design.

Skimmerking
12-09-2007, 04:34 AM
for a canopy I would have 1 on each end pulling in and 2 on the top to push out..... IME

banditpowdercoat
12-09-2007, 04:45 AM
lmao, cruisin the threads, and listenin to radio, see this thread, and billy idols playin. thread title sounds like the song thats on.

Fans, Fans for can-o-py

Sry, I'll shut up now

Skimmerking
12-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Lmao

GMGQ
12-09-2007, 09:29 PM
The problem is that the exhaust fans at the top will be pulling out HUMID air. Therefore they will corrode very quickly.

You dont have to have exaust fans in an aquarium canopy. The air WILL get out, dont worry. The point of the fans is to move air across the water surface to help evaporate the water.

Evaporation = Cooling.

for a canopy I would have 1 on each end pulling in and 2 on the top to push out..... IME