PDA

View Full Version : crappy evening

Eduardo
11-08-2007, 03:45 AM
Get home tonight about 6:30 PM check out the tank and notice from afar that the fire shrimp has molted. I call my kids over to check it out and find it unusual that the fire shrimp molt (on its side and not moving in the sand) is so vibrant. While I'm trying to figure this out, my kids start asking where are the fish, I look in the back of the tank and there they are, dead.

To make a long story short, my JBJ Arctica chiller went haywire and dropped the temp down in my 28 gallon to 54. I just got back from a vaction yesterday, thanked my luck stars that all was well with my tank and went through a thorough cleaning.

Still alive: peppermint shrimp, fire shrimp, pom pom crab, hermit crab, misc. clean up snails.

dead: 2 clowns, fire fish, yellow tail damsel and yellow dwarf angel.

unsure: gsp, 2 yumas and open brain coral.

I'm bringing the temp back up slowly with the thermometer and we'll see what happens.

I haven't used a thermometer since I started my tank as it always ran hot, but clearly, have now learned my lesson.

Still, can't figure out why the chiller continued to chill even though it was set at 77 and even at the lowest setting, it is only supposed to get to 72.

Zylumn
11-08-2007, 04:19 AM
Man thats a bummer. If you need anything pm me.
Kevin

Der_Iron_Chef
11-08-2007, 04:36 AM
What Kevin said. That really sucks :(

Delphinus
11-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Very sorry to hear that. So the chiller stuck on somehow? Does it have its own controller built-in or is it regulated via an external controller?

kwirky
11-08-2007, 05:34 AM
damn that's a bummer dude.

was the chiller maybe over-spec'd for the tank?

Eduardo
11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the sentiments and offers of assistance.

To answer some of your questions, the chiller has an external knob regulating temperature from 72 to 80, there are no additional controller that I am aware of.

I don't think the chiller was over spec'd as it was specifically made by JBJ for this volume of water (capacity rating is up to 40 gallons).

Update on the mortality rate is that the 2 yumas and open brain did not make it. I'm still waiting on the GSP as I'm not sure if it is just hiding or dead as well. Shrimps and crabs doing well.

Going to do a 20% water change tonight to clean out any dead matter that I missed.

BC564
11-08-2007, 03:13 PM
wow....sorry to hear that......this is crappy....

fishoholic
11-08-2007, 04:06 PM
How horrible! Sorry for your losses

Richard_Dicosimo
11-09-2007, 09:07 PM
how old was the tank and how big of a tank are we talking?

Richard

Eduardo
11-12-2007, 03:28 PM
28 gallon tank had been running for 6 months.

Update: GSP didn't make it. I am going to wait another week to make sure that all the levels remain fine and start again...