PDA

View Full Version : Calgary water question

FlamesFan
11-07-2007, 01:23 AM
How suitable is it for SW systems and is an RO/DI setup required/recommended?

Thanks all.

findingnemo1
11-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Calgary water is not bad i guess. Ro/di is definetly reccomended unless you don't mind dealing with a major algae outbreak constantly:biggrin:

My tds going in is 140 coming out it is 0.

ed99
11-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Last time I saw this subject come up I think people here were pretty evenly split as to whether they used RO/DI or not so you'll get a variety of opinions. I use RO/DI and have an inlet tds of anywhere from 130 to 160 and an outlet of 0.

FlamesFan
11-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Thank you. Is an RO/DI system easy to setup to quick swap your cloths washer taps to the RO/DI system and back again? or does it require a permanent water supply.

digital-audiophile
11-07-2007, 03:06 AM
I use Calgary Tap water but I don't keep anything to hard. I do have an RO/DI unit that I will get around to hooking up one of these days.

ed99
11-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Thank you. Is an RO/DI system easy to setup to quick swap your cloths washer taps to the RO/DI system and back again? or does it require a permanent water supply.

Yep. Just get a simple Y connection with two valves and hook up your washing machine to one and the RO/DI to the other. The only other thing you'll need nearby is a drain, which there should be near your washing machine.

FlamesFan
11-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Thanks, I sure do.

adidas
11-08-2007, 02:23 AM
i use regular tap water and have not one bit of algae...and my SPS is growing like mad with great coloration..

AndyL
11-08-2007, 02:53 AM
There's some variation in the city's water to keep in mind also...

Much of the north end of calgary is fed by the Bearspaw resevoir, much of the south is fed from the glenmore. These are two very different resevoirs, with independant qualities / contaminants...

I think most of us on the bearspaw feed have few problems with tap water, more often the southern tap water users have greater problems...

Personally I don't have much problem with tap water, though during the spring thaws and during/after chinooks I'll avoid doing water changes at all costs.

FlamesFan
11-09-2007, 03:45 AM
Yeh im SW, looks like im gettin an RO/DI system from AquaFX

prosnow
11-09-2007, 08:59 PM
i've worked @ both bearspaw and glenmore WT plants (electrician) and WOW i must say i was very shocked......... :|

i guess i just always thought wt plants would be alot more modern and "clean" lol..

BC564
11-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Calgary's WTP's are the same as Red Deer's and Edmontons....they are all modern and all pretty much equal using the latest technology from the treatment process to the latest instrumentation. So not sure what you mean by modern?

kwirky
11-10-2007, 12:16 AM
a secondary benefit to RO/DI (but a VERY good one) is that prime and other water conditioners can make your skimmer go NUTS. My euroreef went absolutely crazy!