PDA

View Full Version : Tunze & new powerheads?

jasond
11-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Just wondering if anybody knows whether or not Tunze puts out a new line of powerheads every year, or do they just stick with their current models till they feel like a change?

People seem to really like the nanostreams, but having clips break seems to be a common problem from what I have read.

Trying to decide between the Tunze and Hydor for my new tank. Considering the tunze mainly because of their size, and people that have them love them. The Hydor I currently have is ok, but I prefer the look of the Tunze's.

Anybody?

Der_Iron_Chef
11-06-2007, 05:03 AM
I used the Nanostreams, and replaced them with Koralias. I've been much happier with the Hydor product, personally. The Tunzes gave me nothing but problems until the clip eventually snapped into three pieces. Now it mixes new batches of saltwater for me.

jasond
11-06-2007, 05:14 AM
For the price of the Hydor's its pretty hard to go wrong...I was hoping Tunze might come out with a new one and fix that problem!

fkshiu
11-06-2007, 06:09 AM
This first few batches of the nanostreams had the clip problems. I know they've been working on the problem with each successive batch. Hopefully they'll work out all of the kinks. For now at least, the Hydor's seem the better bang for the buck despite their larger size.

Sebae again
11-06-2007, 06:11 AM
I have 3 Koralias in my tank. Got them from OA. Can't beat the price. Awesome powerhead. Can't go wrong.

Slick Fork
11-06-2007, 06:44 AM
In my tank, I have a 6055, 6045, and a Koralia 3. I absolutely love the 6055 and would buy another in a heartbeat.

The Koralia was a door prize, if I were buying, I'd have gone with a 4. That being said it's a great powerhead, no issues with it whatsoever since July. I AM a little nervous with the Koralia on 1/2" glass. The magnet just doesn't feel strong enough to inspire a whole lot of confidence. I haven't had it slip yet but find myself checking on it more than I'd like. Also, compared to the tunze setup I find it irritating that although I have a magnet, I still have to get my arms wet to reposition the pump. With the Tunze pumps I just drag the outside magnet around and the powerhead follows.

The 6045 I have mixed feelings on. The stream is a little more concentrated than the Koralia and that's a good fit for my tank (5ft long) as it has a better reach. It's an unfair comparison though because I'm comparing an 800ish gph pump in the Koralia with a 1200ish GPH pump in the Tunze. I'd like to be able to compare apples to apples! For the longest time, I was unaffected by the no-start, backwards start issues that others were having but they are starting to pop up on this one now as well. (running since the end of may).

jasond
11-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Slick, the 6055 does look awesome, maybe I will try one of these, and a Hydor to get my started. It doesnt seem like there are any problems with either manufacturer standing behind their product, which is a big plus.

andresont
11-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Just got my second Tunze 6055, love it !.
I would go with Tunze only if you have a controller though; to put all pumps on it and get all the benefits.
If you have no controller go with Koralia.
JMO

jasond
11-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys! I like the idea of the Tunze's simply because of the adj flow (and the smaller size). If for some strange reason I wanted a bigger tank down the road (that doesnt happen does it?), these would still work great.