PDA

View Full Version : Sps Flow?

Renegade
11-05-2007, 03:36 AM
Hey I'm wondering what the signs of low flow on sps are ? also the opposite what are signs of too much flow?

Stones
11-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Excellent polyp extension usually means that lighting and flow requirements are adequate for a particular sps coral. If flow is too great or too low, most sps corals will retract their polyps (to some degree) which may leave only the skeletal portion of the coral showing.

If flow is far too great, this can cause tissue death or growth of unwanted algae in the high flow areas on the coral.

michika
11-05-2007, 06:18 PM
From what I have seen:
Low flow - slower growth, some corals only extend their polyps at night or after feeding time. I also see thiner branches, and more spindly looking growth. The corals are also more delicate and easier to accidentally break.

Med-high flow - influences HOW the coral grows, which directions, and how thick the brances are.

High flow - you can literally blow the flesh off the coral if its too high. Although if its not too bad, I have seen more rapid growth, larger encrusted bases, and different colors in some species.

I personally don't see a big correlation between polyp extension in high flow and lower flow areas of my tank, but I have seen it in others' tanks.