PDA

View Full Version : Looking for online Stores that have good prices on hardware

JPeach
11-05-2007, 03:05 AM
All,

I'm looking to set up a new 90Gal. I have been to a lot of the lfs's and have done some general price comparisons. I would like to compare that to some of the bigger US stores. Could anyone suggest some websites that I can look at to compare?

Shipping costs are not a big concern for me I'm just wanting to compare pricing

Thanks in advance

Der_Iron_Chef
11-05-2007, 05:21 AM
I wouldn't be concerned with shipping charges so much as brokerage/customs charges. I ordered a $350 item from the States and ended up paying another $100 to get it across the border, on-top of the shipping fees. I could have gotten it for cheaper here, when all was said and done.

kwirky
11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't be concerned with shipping charges so much as brokerage/customs charges. I ordered a $350 item from the States and ended up paying another $100 to get it across the border, on-top of the shipping fees. I could have gotten it for cheaper here, when all was said and done.

agreed

my room mate has been ordering loads of car parts from the states and he just got hit with a couple bills in the mail box of brokerage charges. about 25% of the total merchandise's cost he figured it added up to. Very $$$.

Only worth it if the seller's willing to ship united states postal services. Most aren't, and even if they are I wouldn't trust something fragile like a skimmer or a box of bulbs to the postal service.

And plus consider the cost of your time. If you don't have much free time, is it really worth it to spend hours and hours shopping online, sending e-mails asking if sellers will ship to canada via USPS, followed by having to send your credit card (unsecurely) via e-mail because their checkout system doesn't support canadian destinations.

Sometimes convenience is worth the little bit of extra $$. And your LFS can support you on your product if you buy it from them. Definate advantages to buying from brick & mortar stores. Besides. Our money's better kept in Calgary to support small business than to send it over to America ;)

I'd say print off some prices online retailers are offering for things the LFS regularily stocks, and bring that in. Ask for a price if you're getting it all at once. They don't have to match it but you can ask if they'd at least bend a little for you. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Joe Reefer
11-05-2007, 03:07 PM
I recommend JL (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/mainpage.php) and OA (http://oceanaquatics.com/).

Jason McK
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
If you have to buy form the US then get them to ship via USPS there will be brokerage fee but you will pay Tax.

Again I would look at J&L, OA, and hidden reef

EmilyB
11-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I've purchased a lot from www.premiumaquatics.com (http://www.premiumaquatics.com) - things that weren't available from Canadian vendors.

albert_dao
11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
What are you looking for?