PDA

View Full Version : Need help huffing a tank onto a stand

Delphinus
11-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi All,

The time has come that I'm ready to have my 280g hoisted onto my stand (and see if it fits, haha, measure once, cut about 12 times :lol: ).

Anyhow, I think 4 guys will be needed to hoist it up, so I need help from maybe 3 guys. No corners or stairs or anything, that hard part was done long ago. The tank sits on the floor right behind the stand, so it should be a simple matter of grunting it up and over a couple feet.

Nevertheless I think I am going to try to rent 4 appliance holder suction cup things because we won't be able to get our fingers under the tank.

So what I'll probably do, is if we can line up some help, I'll try to have the holder things rented beforehand. I don't know if an evening during the week works better or a weekend.

I don't have frags to pay for your help but I'll buy you beer maybe :lol:

Anyone?

PS. I live in Evergreen (SW).

michika
11-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I, and Krazykuch will be down again next weekend. We can help.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm in....but generally speaking, Sunday and Thursday nights are bad for me. Let me know :)

christyf5
11-04-2007, 03:37 PM
OMG its finally happening!! Someone take a camera to record this momentous occasion!!! :razz:

AndyL
11-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Holy Crap?! After how many years of sitting on the floor - it's gonna be installed? :D

I can come help if needed, not so good for lifting, but I can be that extra set of hands that's usually required... (and run a camera)

digital-audiophile
11-04-2007, 04:36 PM
I can lend a hand too Tony. Let me know? If nothing else I can lend moral support and stare at your ritteri tank while others fo the hard work.

Aquattro
11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
I'll be there in spirit Tony!

danny zubot
11-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Let me know when.:biggrin:

Maybe I'll bring my camera too. Just for Christy.:lol:

MikeP
11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
I might be available to help Tony. PM me when you know what weekend and if we don't have any plans I'll come give a hand.

Snappy
11-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Tony,
I can help Monday - Wed evenings this week, or on the weekends but not this weekend. I am out of town for a week leaving Thursday. Just let me know if & when I can be of service.

Delphinus
11-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow, thanks everyone :)

I guess I need to nail down a time then. If I asked for, say, Tuesday evening, would that work for anyone? Failing that, looks like maybe Saturday morning might work for people?

Alas, it's still only a baby step in a freakishly long journey :lol: Next up I have to start moving "stuff" out of the way, and get my permits all lined up and stuff.

Neil
11-04-2007, 09:15 PM
good luck with this tony. wish that my back was feeling better and it wasnt the opposite end of town or else i would be there. safe lifting guys and post some pics.

digital-audiophile
11-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Wow, thanks everyone :)

I guess I need to nail down a time then. If I asked for, say, Tuesday evening, would that work for anyone? Failing that, looks like maybe Saturday morning might work for people?

Alas, it's still only a baby step in a freakishly long journey :lol: Next up I have to start moving "stuff" out of the way, and get my permits all lined up and stuff.

Anytime after about 6ish during the week is ok for me. Saturday AM is good too.

adidas
11-04-2007, 11:14 PM
I'll lift it for ya LOL

Zylumn
11-05-2007, 03:19 AM
I can be in for tues night but not saturday
Kevin

Veng68
11-05-2007, 03:25 AM
How much do you recon that tank weights?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Delphinus
11-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Not sure. 4 guys (me, Canadian Man, two guys from Bow Valley) huffed it off the truck and then grunted and swore it all the way into the house and down the stairs and around a couple corners... So I reckon maybe 400lbs? Complete WAG on my part though.

Ok so I guess Tuesday night is a go, pending one thing though - let me see if I can arrange for the suction cup things on Monday. Will post back. Also I guess I need to PM everyone my address and phone number.

Thanks to all who've offered. You have no idea how much I appreciate this! Thanks!

Delphinus
11-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Many hands make for light work? Thanks guys, you're awesome!!!

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/280g/20071106/tank_lifting_party1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/280g/20071106/tank_lifting_party2.jpg

michika
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Very nice! So whats the next step?

christyf5
11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Yay! The beast is alive. Get that sucker filled with water now!!

Jason McK
11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
So who is everyone in the picture. Need name tags

J

Delphinus
11-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Very nice! So whats the next step?

In some ways this was the easy part (it took me two years to do the easy part :redface:). But I'm hoping that with a lot of the junk cleared out of my way in the basement that things can progress at a better pace from here on forward.

Next up, I have to finish (well, OK, "start" and finish) the drawings so I can get my permits all lined up. And of course, go to City Hall and apply for the permits.

I need to find my @$%#%$#%$!! spirit-level and shim the stand if needed. According to my wee little level (6") it's pretty close to level but I'd feel better using my "real" level before starting any further framing.

Frame the walls adjacent to the tank and hang a door.

Plumbing and electrical, move the laundry sink over, install a proper tap (hot and cold water)

Tank hood (I'm thinking an aluminium frame for hanging the reflectors), and skirting around the canopy.

I have to re-route some my HRV venting because the way it was done is sorta ... for lack of a better word, "dumb". It comes over to a beam and then has a U-bend that goes under the beam. Whereas it could just come out a bit to the side of the beam and then come straight across into the tank room.

Buy a sump return pump and get cracking on the plumbing..

Get the electrical and anything else inspected and the OK given, then I can drywall, mud and paint.

At that point I can start filling!

Gonna be a busy few weeks ahead of me. :lol: Or months. I sure hope it won't be another two years. :redface:

Delphinus
11-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Left to right Danny Z, rattler, JSTR, Der_Iron_Chef, digital-audiophile, Snappy. I didn't want to make the others look bad with my dazzling good looks so I'm not in there. :lol: Ok no seriously, I'm so unphotogenic I've been known to break cameras with the glare off my enormous forehead (I've been told that my hairline is somewhat receding) so for the sake of not breaking the wife's camera I'm not in the picture. ;)

So who is everyone in the picture. Need name tags

J

Der_Iron_Chef
11-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I felt like I was back in Malaysia....damn, that basement is humid!!! But pleased I could be of help, Tony! If you need any more help, let me know.

Also, we'll definitely have to do a zoa frag swap. I spied a few which I liked ;)

digital-audiophile
11-07-2007, 05:05 PM
I was glad to help! Nice to meet a few new people and marvel over Tony's anemones.

Snappy
11-08-2007, 04:46 AM
I was glad I could be of service Tony, anytime. :biggrin:

Quinn
11-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Tony, is that Jonathan's old tank?

Delphinus
11-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey Quinn, sorry I missed your question! Oops.

Actually, no, it's a new tank. Well, new as in, hasn't held water in it. It's been sitting on my floor for TWO FREAKIN' YEARS (I meant to have it finished before the kid was born .. I knew if I didn't, it would turn into this. I guess I was right. :redface:) Anyhow, I had it built just before Jonathan sold his though. Had I waited a month I could probably just have bought his and I would have had a tank with water in it by now :eek: Oh well, hindsight. golden69_ca in Creston bought Jonathan's tank. Last I heard though he's moved to Saskatchewan so I don't know if he still has that tank or if someone else has it now.