PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare poop?

likwid
11-04-2007, 04:19 AM
Hey guys,

I just got a sea hare, and as it eats it expells what looks like poop out the back of it. It does this like every 10 minutes, and my sand bed is covered in the stuff. What do you guys do? Should I siphon it out or would hermits eat the stuff? If so I'll have to go buy some more hermits, because I only have one left. Also, he seems to just go on my sand bed and glass, and ignores the forest of hair algae on my rocks.

untamed
11-04-2007, 04:46 AM
If you can remove it, go ahead. If you don't, take comfort in the fact that the sea hare has moved some nutrients one step further down the line. A healthy, biodiverse tank should have lots of other critters eager to chow down on sea hare poop.

In general, the more times something gets eaten/used, the better.

jasond
11-04-2007, 05:41 AM
I just picked one up a couple days ago as well. Thing poops like crazy. At first he would stay on the sand, and crawl up the glass, but tonight he appears to be eating his fair share of hair algae. It's crawling all over the rock to get at it (doesnt have to go far) but seems to be keeping busy.

I just siphoned out what he leaves behind...which is a lot easier than dealing with the hair algae.

Keep us posted on how yours does!

TeknoPunk
11-16-2007, 01:45 AM
so how well does this hare keep your hair algae under control? is it worth the buy. I was contemplating getting one but I didn;t know if it would harm my corals or anything.

untamed
11-16-2007, 02:05 AM
The problem is that they tend to eat themselves out of food and then starve to death. It's popular to borrow one until your hair algae is gone, then let someone else have it for a while.

Yes, from my observations, they certainly eat hair algae.

kwirky
11-16-2007, 02:11 AM
mine chomped down on fresh soft hair algae. wouldn't eat the old stiff stuff. It eventually burried itself in the sand bed and died when there was no more food left.

I'd arrange to find somone to take your's in advance. Don't leave it until all your algae's done or else it might be too late to find somone.

jasond
11-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Mine seems to be doing a good job so far. Still poops like crazy, but that can be dealt with. I am hoping to trade/sell him here pretty quick once it is a little more cleaned up. Likwid how is yours doing?