PDA

View Full Version : Convict Chiclids!?

saltwatermaniac
11-04-2007, 03:58 AM
Hey guys I just bought my self two new convicts 1m/1f I beleive so any ways they are about 1" long and I was wondering about how long does it usually take before they begin breed?

Slipstream
11-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Id give it a month or so, that way they are settled into their new tank comfortably.

saltwatermaniac
11-05-2007, 08:24 AM
ok thanks!

Slipstream
11-05-2007, 11:42 PM
no problem

Quagmire
11-06-2007, 12:33 AM
A friend of mine had breeding Convicts a few years ago.They were worse than rabbits,but at least my Oscars ate well when I had them.

hillbillyreefer
11-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Just add mud water or whatever they'll breed. Want some more? Mine started to breed at about 1.5" and haven't quit. The tank mates appreciate the live food I'm sure.

Watch them they are very territorial when breeding and looking after fry. I've had them beat tankmates to death.

Matty
11-06-2007, 03:36 AM
In my younger teen years lol.. I opted for the challenge of keeping cichlids. I made the silly mistake of buying 5 of these guys. Two paired off and laid there eggs.. about a few months into being placed in the tank. They kept having tons and tons of babies.. and their first batch of babies.. oddly enough helped to guard the new batch of babies that were being born. I have not had any fish attack my hands in the tank.. but these guys did.. and it hurt like heck!

Interesting fish though.. I think cichlid.. means good parent.. of something like that. They were awesome parents.. though I had enough babies.. so I gave them all away asap!

You should have no problems!

saltwatermaniac
11-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Yah so I have heard they are agressive and that they will even go after the hand that feeds them but there just so awsome I dont care plus I am used to it by now clownfish bite hard to lol!!

Matty
11-07-2007, 07:39 AM
My clown only bit me once. I was cleaning his tank out.. and had my one hand dangling on the top of the surface. I was caught up watching the news.. that I didn't realize that my fingers were waving in the water. Out of no where I got a quick painful prick.. it surprised me and my clown lol he learned that I was not food.. and I learned that he had little tiny teeth of pain.

He never did bite me again after that.. if anything if my hand was in the tank.. he would swim up against it.. not sure if anyone else has a clown that does that.. it was almost like what cat does to its owners legs.. I thought it was cool.. but I was worried that he would get hurt if he got in the way while I was cleaning.

Convicts are interesting fish.. aggressive..and I am sure that they will breed like mad for you once they get settled.

saltwatermaniac
11-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Yah they are pretty cool I cant wait for babys!!