PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Trees fragging themselves

hillbillyreefer
11-02-2007, 04:25 AM
My tank is 7 weeks old. LR came with kenya trees, they appear to be doing very well. Always fully extended and looking plump and happy. Over the last week or so they have been sloughing chunks off of themselves. Is this normal reproduction or is there something wrong with the animal? I've taken a couple of the pieces and glued them to rocks in my other tank and they are all doing well. I should soon have lots to trade if anyone is interested. At the rate they are growing, reproducing they will take over the tank soon. Pretty cool pest problem to have.

I think the tank is healthy. Water parameters are good. 72 watts of pc light. I have a monitpora hitcher that is growing and looking pretty good. From what I've read there is little chance of keeping it alive in a new tank, so I think the tank has done remarkably well, even with my interference.

Is there anything I should be feeding the corals? There is nothing in the tank except peppermint shrimp, snails, hermits, and what I think is a whelk that was banished to a back chamber for eating snails. There is a possibility of a crab, I found a corpse in the other tank this morning while moving some rock around. Looked like a porcealin (sp) but not sure, never saw it alive.

Thanks for looking,
Brad

Drock169
11-02-2007, 05:10 AM
If its a porcelain crab, it wont harm anything. But check for the characteristic feathery appendages. If its not a porcelain watch it carefully.

MikeP
11-02-2007, 05:23 AM
Kenya tree's will 'shed' their branches every once in a while. It's totally normal.

hillbillyreefer
11-02-2007, 05:45 AM
Drock 169 I'm not sure about the crab, the one I found today was dead. Looked like porcelain but couldn't really tell. Maybe I'll get lucky and find another one. Thanks for the advice.

Mike P. Thanks for the info, sometimes I just get a little worried, everything has gone so well, so far, I'm just waiting for the ultimate crash. I'll keep gluing the sheds to rocks and moving them to my frag tank, it will soon be full of them lol.

Brad