PDA

View Full Version : Which Eheim return pump???

Buddyboy
11-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Hi All,

I'll be picking up a submersible return pump very soon. I have decided i'll get the best and spend some extra $$$ and pick up an Eheim. My new setup is a 50G display and a 15G sump. I was thinking the Eheim 1250 (~200 gph) would do the trick. Is this enough flow through the sump? Or would the Eheim 1260 (~500 gph) be a better purchase? I don't need the pump to add flow in the display tank as I have powerheads doing this already. Your thoughts? Thanks for your help! :)

Bud

Slipstream
11-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Id go with the 1250, because TOO much flow can be a bad thing..

Borderjumper
11-02-2007, 12:09 AM
We have 1250's in both our 50 and 65 gallon tanks and find they have more than enough flow. Its also a very quiet reliable pump IMO.

jasond
11-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Not to sidetrack the post, but it doesnt make sense that almost everyone with an Eheim says they are great, and the 1250 @ just over $100 is not outrageous, how come a majority of people use every other kind? Availability maybe? I am sold on the Eheim, and plan on using one on my new 60G.

Buddyboy
11-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Well, I thought about going with a Mag pump, but for the extra $30, I think the reliability and peace of mind is worth it!

In any case, it sounds like the 1250 might be a go??? That would be roughly 3x turnover. And what about that? Some people say 2x turnover is sufficient and some say 10x!!! I'm confused! :p

jasond
11-02-2007, 12:50 AM
I am in the same boat as you, 60G in progress, and lots of different comments on how much flow from the return pump. I agree that for the little bit of extra $ it is worth it!

Anybody else with some thoughts???

mark
11-02-2007, 01:17 AM
The numbers come from what are you trying to do. Low end is if sump just feeding a skimmer (logic being more than skimmer is rated is probably wasted flow) or on the high end if combining a refugium or using the return pump to provide flow for display.

I'm using my return to up the turnover of my BB in addition to a CL plus have a cheato refugium in my sump. Just using the sump tank size for the ratio I'm pushing about 13X/hour through it. Found with another pump 26x was too much as was getting micro bubbles in display and detritus wasn't settling out.

And if you go to Wetwebmedia, Fenner's a big Eheim promoter.

kwirky
11-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Not to sidetrack the post, but it doesnt make sense that almost everyone with an Eheim says they are great, and the 1250 @ just over $100 is not outrageous, how come a majority of people use every other kind? Availability maybe? I am sold on the Eheim, and plan on using one on my new 60G.

price at the time. The mag 700 is generally half the price of the eheim 1260. I have no complaints about the mag pump either. I wish I could afford to buy higher quality for every component but it's not feasable for some people.

now as for "enough flow through the sump" the less flow you have the fewer microbubbles and less evaporation. that's from my own experience. the sump doesn't need to have crazy flow rates like your tank does. a lower flow rate just means longer dwell time, which means the water going back to the tank will be "cleaner" from the skimmer etc etc.

jasond
11-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Sean - I did not intend to sound like a snob. In the grand scheme of things, what is $30-$50 extra on a pump, in comparison to what we spend on LR, livestock, and even skimmers? For myself being fairly new, it is good to hear everyone's view on what they are using and why!

:biggrin:

kwirky
11-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Sean - I did not intend to sound like a snob. In the grand scheme of things, what is $30-$50 extra on a pump, in comparison to what we spend on LR, livestock, and even skimmers? For myself being fairly new, it is good to hear everyone's view on what they are using and why!

:biggrin:

I didn't read your post as snobbish. I read it as curious. No worries dude :)

banditpowdercoat
11-02-2007, 02:34 AM
I also am looking for submersable pumps. I have a 45G in the works, with a closed l;oop manifold style return, but the return is coming from the 15g Sump. I was thinking of a Mag 1800,but would that be to much flow through the sump? I was only thinking tank turnover, not realizing how much is flowing through the sump. My setup is not set in stone yet. I do have space I can hide a submersable in my Overflow chamber. The main reason I went closed loop manifold style is I do not want powerheads visible and sticking to the glass.

Buddyboy
11-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses folks! I've made up my mind and will go with the 1250. Sounds like an Eheim is worth the extra bucks! :)

smp
11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I have the 1260 and I love it. It was an upgrade from my previous mag 9.5.
I never had any problems with the mag mind you, but it was a little louder than the eheim.

andresont
11-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Well, I thought about going with a Mag pump, but for the extra $30, I think the reliability and peace of mind is worth it!

In any case, it sounds like the 1250 might be a go??? That would be roughly 3x turnover. And what about that? Some people say 2x turnover is sufficient and some say 10x!!! I'm confused! :p

10x or more turn over means inside the display tank for internal flow.
For example i have a lot of flow for sps corals(6000 g/hr + wave box 5000g/hr on 60 gal tank)
3xhr turn is good for return from your sump to main display.
Personally i think slow return rate from the sump is better it provides more time for skimmer to process the water before it will go back to main tank
HTH

ron101
11-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Ive got a 1262 and have been very satisfied with it. Its WAY more than I needed - I probably could have used a 1250 instead...

Buddyboy
11-15-2007, 04:36 PM
What size tank and sump do you have Ron?

ron101
11-15-2007, 04:49 PM
90 Gal tank w/27 gal tank for sump.

The overflow and plumbing will keep up with it at full output but it will generate a lot of microbubbles. IMO using relatively large return pumps in order to get increased tank turnover requires good sump baffle design.

jasond
11-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Bud, make sure and give us an update once you have that pump up and running!

Myka
11-17-2007, 06:31 PM

Through some "technical math equation" the "perfect" turnover is 6.1x for a reef. This will pass 99.9% of the tank water through your sump every 24 hours. I have ~7x turnover on my reef (the closest to 6.1 I could get). Many people with FO or FOWLR like 10x turnover, but it is really considered a waste of electricity.