PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor recomendations

Pescador
11-01-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm looking to replace a tired K2R reactor on a 300 gal system with probably an average CA demand, not a lot of SPS.

Number one criteria is probably ease of refilling (no thumbscrews).

There's a pretty good deal on Schuran Jetstream1's right now but it sounds like you should use a peristaltic pump to feed it so that adds a hundred bucks or so.

Also looking at the GEO's and Deltec's.

Anyone have any feedback on any of these?

Thanks

Delphinus
11-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure if Jetstreams are truly unique in the sense they require a peristaltic pump. I mean, I have no idea if they really do need it but any calcium reactor could benefit from a peristaltic pump feed, you have a better sense of what your actual effluent flow rate is and so on. I'm considering going that way from now on but the one thing I don't like about the peri pumps available to the hobby is that they are fixed flowrate. I'm looking at ebay for lab grade DC peri pumps that have adjustability but the problem is what you get for cheap looks pretty haggard and the ones that look like they have a fair bit of life left in them tend to go for a few more bucks. Having said that though it does look like good deals come up every week.

Afraid I can't comment on Schuran versus Geo versus Deltec ... I dunno, when the Schurans hit the NA market there sure was excitement and everybody thought they were the shizzle so I'm sure they're good, but in the end to me a calcium reactor is a calcium reactor .. :) As long as it doesn't leak and it gets the job done, then I'm pretty happy.

Are there reactors that don't use thumbscrews? I haven't seen a Jetstream up close but aren't they using them too (looks like it from pictures?)? Having said that, given the U.S. price of them right now it almost seems like a no-brainer to pick one up. And if it wasn't for the fact that I need a sump return pump, a swack of T5's, a wavebox and maybe some extra Tunzes (wow, how to spend $1500 in my head in 5 seconds or less :eek:) I'd probably just go pick one up anyhow. :)

Let us know what you find out though and which way you end up deciding on going! I would like to hear about what's new with reactors these days.

Gools
11-02-2007, 06:59 PM
I have a schuran, you don't need a peri pump to use it. I bought a needle valve, and it worked perfect. I have 2 peri pumps that i never hooked up to it.

After the schuran I would recommend a GEO. Only 2 I would look at.

trilinearmipmap
11-02-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a Barr Aquatics calcium reactor I got from Austin Oceans.

They do have thumbscrews on the top for refilling, I don't see the issue there, you refill the media maybe every 6 months give or take?

It is the only Ca reactor I have ever had but IMO it is absolutely excellent.

Lots of great features. Dual recirc design. Built-in flow meter. Built-in bubble counter. Port for pH probe. Can be run either with no feed pump or from a Maxijet or teed off the return line. It has a very compact design. Overall it has been very easy to use and I recommend this calcium reactor 100%.

Pescador
11-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks Tony, I can relate, I'm looking at everything you are except my
T-5's are still okay.:smile:
Had to rush out at supper time and pick up a new Blueline return pump cuz my Turbosea quit. (That's what happens when you don't clean it for 2 years:redface: ). But it's okay after a 4 day soak so I have a backup now.
I have to clean my streamrocks again in less than 2 months so I've been looking at a wavebox's.

What I've gathered on the CA reactors, Deltec is fluidized and has a bayonet lock on the top. (at twice the price of most others).

Geo's seem to get great reviews, PH port, and key hole slots in the lid.

Schuran is high flow low pressure, you regulate the flow on the input side instead of effluent side. Sounds like pulling the effluent through with a peri pump is the most consistent way to feed it.
It does have 8 thumbscrews (4 on top, 4 on bottom) but the whole media chamber comes out so you can take it to the sink for refilling.

I'd like to just feed it from a tee in my return so Gools I'm curious how you have yours set up. Is the needle valve on the input side?
What's your flow rate?

And thanks trilinearmipmap I'll have a look at the Barr's.

Talk about spending money in your head, it looks like this Sony projector is crapping out and oh yeah my wedding and honeymoon are in a week!

Gools
11-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Right now I don't have it setup, moved Provinces and am in the midst of setting up another. But I had it tee'd off a mag 2, with the valve before the reactor. You don't want back pressure in the reactor. As for flow I mostly watched for my Ph, trying to keep it at 6.3-6.5. And watched my Alk level and made adjustmeants from there. But I think I was running about 130 bpm, and had a flow of 250ml a minute. (I have it writen down some where) On a heavily sps stocked 180.