PDA

View Full Version : Urgently need 2" Gate Valve!

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Man you would think this would be easier to find! I have called 4 different plumbing supply stores and about 4 hardware stores and none have a simple 2" Gate Valve! None of the aquarium shops seem to stock anything bigger than 1.5" either. I really need this tomorrow...anyone have any ideas of where I can find one???

fkshiu
11-01-2007, 01:31 AM
have you tried OA?

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Yes but they just have only up to 1.5" Gate Valves.

mark
11-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Could you put in the knife valve but rig your plumbing that it could be easily removed (and replaced with gate) in find you don't have good control?

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Well I was thinking that but it makes things a bit more complicated. I spoke to a plumber today who said knife valves are are very accurate but he also does not know anything about tank plumbing. I have no idea how it would work...

untamed
11-01-2007, 02:11 AM
Have you tried Corix Water Products? They special ordered for me a lot of the things I needed, including some Spears Gate valves. The largest I purchased was only 1.5" though.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 03:58 AM
Have you tried Corix Water Products? They special ordered for me a lot of the things I needed, including some Spears Gate valves. The largest I purchased was only 1.5" though.

Yeah they said they would have to order it. That doesnt really work because my puffers need to get out of QT asap. They are getting very cramped in their respective tanks. I really find it hard to believe how hard it is to fins stuff here. I know that even Home Depot in the US carries them but not here.

mikeyd
11-01-2007, 04:03 AM
look up emco in the phone book. They should have it in stock or be able to get one next day. They are one of the biggest plumbing wholesalers in Canada.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 04:13 AM
look up emco in the phone book. They should have it in stock or be able to get one next day. They are one of the biggest plumbing wholesalers in Canada.

Thanks. Will Emco sell to the public? I thought I had called them in the past and they said I had to be either buying in bulk or a business. I may be thinking of another company though...

vancityfella
11-01-2007, 04:33 AM
I have a pvc ball valve brand new. I woould be interested in trade frags coral whatever pm if interested Kris

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 04:59 AM
I have a pvc ball valve brand new. I woould be interested in trade frags coral whatever pm if interested Kris

I need a Gate valve though, not ball valve. I also have no frags to trade anyways! Thanks though.

Delphinus
11-01-2007, 05:11 AM
I once bought a single 10' length of 10" PVC from EMCO ... mind you this was in Calgary and it was a few years ago but anyhow, they did sell to me, I'm sure they'll deal with you. I felt like an idiot driving off with this one piece of honking big pipe strapped to my roof, but that's another story.

It won't work to get you a gate valve for tomorrow, but you could mail-order from here:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/variant.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=16117&product%5Fid=16125&variant%5Fid=19246

Anyhow best of luck!

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 05:33 AM
I once bought a single 10' length of 10" PVC from EMCO ... mind you this was in Calgary and it was a few years ago but anyhow, they did sell to me, I'm sure they'll deal with you. I felt like an idiot driving off with this one piece of honking big pipe strapped to my roof, but that's another story.

It won't work to get you a gate valve for tomorrow, but you could mail-order from here:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/variant.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=16117&product%5Fid=16125&variant%5Fid=19246

Anyhow best of luck!

Thanks!

untamed
11-01-2007, 05:35 AM
If you are in that much of a hurry, use your knife valve and put a union above and below it. If the knife valve doesn't allow for accurate enough adjustment, you can replace it later with a better valve and you have time to find it.

Worst case is that the knife valve doesn't allow you to perfectly tune the Herbie. All that means is that you'll have a small trickle flowing down the emergency pipe. No big deal...just not perfectly silent.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 06:10 AM
If you are in that much of a hurry, use your knife valve and put a union above and below it. If the knife valve doesn't allow for accurate enough adjustment, you can replace it later with a better valve and you have time to find it.

Worst case is that the knife valve doesn't allow you to perfectly tune the Herbie. All that means is that you'll have a small trickle flowing down the emergency pipe. No big deal...just not perfectly silent.

Well I shouldnt really be in such a big hurry but I have 6 QT tanks all over the apartment and a few friends staying with me a a week and a half. I really wanted to have everything done soon and I have a few days off now. I really do not want to rush things though. I will look for the Gate Valve tomorrow from either EMCO or this place called Pioneer Plumbing (they claim to have all kinds of rare plumbing). Hopefully I find one! I have to go to the same area to get glass cut for my overflow tomorrow anyways.

Delphinus
11-01-2007, 06:14 AM
You know, everytime I go camping on the coast and drive out, I see this enormous irrigation supply store from Highway 1 as I get into Abbotsford. I'm sorry I don't recall the name but I think Marc (Superfudge) told me that's where he's gotten a whole bunch of really cool plumbing parts. It's a bit of a long shot but it might be worth looking into. PM Superfudge and ask him the name of the place .. sorry my tip is a bit "out there" but it just occured to me and I think it might be worth a shot...

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 06:17 AM
You know, everytime I go camping on the coast and drive out, I see this enormous irrigation supply store from Highway 1 as I get into Abbotsford. I'm sorry I don't recall the name but I think Marc (Superfudge) told me that's where he's gotten a whole bunch of really cool plumbing parts. It's a bit of a long shot but it might be worth looking into. PM Superfudge and ask him the name of the place .. sorry my tip is a bit "out there" but it just occured to me and I think it might be worth a shot...

Yeah thanks, I mean any tips would are great. I am going to call a few more places that are really close to me tomorrow morning and then go from there. I have no car right now, so going out to abbotsford is hard. I can get a ride though...Or rent a car if I were desperate enough!

Bryan
11-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Have you checked out a place on venables in Vancouver, I beieve they are called Vancouver Irrigation. I would be surprised if they DIDN'T have it.

cole004
11-01-2007, 07:52 AM
I picked mine up at Southern Drip in Chilliwack http://www.southerndrip.com/index.html A little pricey but a nice drive on a Saturday and you could stop at Hidden Reef on the way home.

mikeyd
11-01-2007, 01:28 PM
EMCO does sell to the public, but i believe they may have a $25 min purchase for cash sales.

Delphinus
11-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I wonder if this might be the place I'm thinking of. I said Abbotsford but come to think of it I think I meant Chilliwack. Sorry, my bad.

I picked mine up at Southern Drip in Chilliwack http://www.southerndrip.com/index.html A little pricey but a nice drive on a Saturday and you could stop at Hidden Reef on the way home.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Have you checked out a place on venables in Vancouver, I beieve they are called Vancouver Irrigation. I would be surprised if they DIDN'T have it.

They do not. Again only up to 1.5".

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Well I found one! Thanks to Tman1973 for being nice enough to PM me and say he would sell me one. Saves a lot of hassle!