PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/Polishing Acrylic

ron101
01-22-2003, 12:34 AM
Hi all,

After assembling a DIY fixture for my FW tank I noticed how clouded the acrylic lens on my Coralife fixture is. Is there something that I can do to it to return it to near-new transparency?

TIA

Canadian Man
01-22-2003, 04:36 AM
I have no experience with that perticular problem but I am sure youcould just use a scratch removal kit that would be used on a tank and get it clear that way.

Aquattro
01-22-2003, 04:38 AM
Some grades of acrylic will actually fog. If it goes all the way thru, you'll probably need to replace it.

rossb
01-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Back when I used to have a working dremmel :? it came with these felt pads about an 1 1/2" across. I was working on my sailboat companion-way cover (the old plexiglass) and they worked wonderfully at removing most of the scratches. It is a rather a large surface so I also removed some with a rubbing compound (it was quite a bit more work) and I also covered up the really fine scratches with some maguires clear plastic polish. The last one I think coats the plastic with a bit of a film and it may not be appropriate on a surface that gets hot. I also had some plastic that was quite sunbaked (it had turned from clear to white and chalky) and I was able to restore it with a good sanding of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper(I sanded with water and rinsed often) and then a clear acrylic wax.

I think the old plexiglass panels are similiar to the acrylic you use so you might try one of hthese things.