PDA

View Full Version : Skimming&Water Changes

IceTurf
10-29-2007, 07:11 PM
What is the longest you have gone without a water change without noticeable problems?

How about longest time without skimming with no noticeable problems?

Both?

surgeonfish
10-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I think this is a very difficult question to answer due to the number of variables involved. It would depend on the size of tank, amount of lifestalk, is there sensitive invertabrates/corals present, amount of feeding, other types of mechanical and biological filtration being used, etc, etc.

That being said, I have heard of individuals having nice reef tanks who rarely or never do water changes. However, I think they are the vast minority. Lots of reefers also run skimmerless systems. I have always used skimmers and think you could run a higher bioload with skimmers.

IceTurf
10-29-2007, 07:26 PM
tks for responding, yea i understand that there are allot of variables so if people could also if they go skimmerless or without water changes say a bit about their tank, that would be great tks

Der_Iron_Chef
10-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I went skimmerless for about 6 months, and I did a water change every week. Now I'm skimming heavily, and wondering what happened when I was skimmerless to all the nasty scheisse the skimmer's pulling out.

Having said that, I haven't been nearly as diligent with water changes since I've been skimming. I've noticed more algae all-around. In my mind, the bottom line for ME is....water changes are good. Maybe the best thing I've got going, as far as overall husbandry is concerned.

:)