PDA

View Full Version : Myth or fact?

IceTurf
10-29-2007, 07:05 PM
I was doing some reading lately *lol oh no* anyways, has anyone noticed that crushed coral substrate actually releases minerals and other good things back into the water over time or is this just a myth?

mark
10-29-2007, 08:00 PM
What a Calcium reactor does is dissolve aragonite for calcium and
carbonate but it also releases the other trace elements.

CC, DSB will also dissolve down to some amount in normal tank pH but at a slower rate. Assuming the source isn't contaminated, what's released is good.

IceTurf
10-29-2007, 08:12 PM
what would be a sand containing high, good mineral content for this application?

mark
10-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Product based on a aragonite would be a good choice. There's a few different companies/quarries Caribsea (http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/substrates.html)being one. Basically don't go to the river with a shovel.

Take a read here (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm) as well. Lots of topics, lots of info.

Aquattro
10-30-2007, 12:58 AM
I personally would not consider anything from my substrate in any chemical equations for my water quality. I do not believe any substantial amount of calcium is disolved at aquarium pH rates. I will agree on a good quality subtrate, if you plan to use any, to avoid any contamination.

IceTurf
10-30-2007, 01:52 AM
so how is it that contaminations make way into your water through substrate and calcium can't?

Der_Iron_Chef
10-30-2007, 01:56 AM
Calcium dissolves (in the case of a calcium reactor) when the PH levels inside the reactor are brought down to a certain point through the use of CO2. This is how I understand it (please someone correct me if I'm wrong!).

The PH inside your aquarium needs to be much different than that inside a reactor, in order for your organisms to survive.

midgetwaiter
10-30-2007, 05:33 AM
The only theory that makes any sense is that there is a lower pH in the sand bed when it is deep enough to create an anoxic zone and CO2 builds up. I've never seen any proof of this but if it were going to work this is what would have to happen.

fencer
10-30-2007, 05:42 AM
Not CO2 but H2S is produced in DSB's. I have wondered if a Calcium reactor also releases Mg in sufficent concentration. Does anybody know here?

Aquattro
10-30-2007, 05:51 AM
so how is it that contaminations make way into your water through substrate and calcium can't?

Leaching from the surface of the substrate.

Aquattro
10-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Not CO2 but H2S is produced in DSB's. I have wondered if a Calcium reactor also releases Mg in sufficent concentration. Does anybody know here?

Mg will be released if it was originally a component of the media being dissolved. Whether this would be in an ionically availble species, not sure.

Aquattro
10-30-2007, 05:57 AM
There will certainly be some dissolution of the substrate within our systems, but as I stated, not in any amount I would take into consideration. My understanding is that a pH of 7.7 is required to disolve Ca. My tank doesn't usually get that low. If things made of Ca started dissolving in my tank, I'd be worried about my Ca based inverts.
Now, in a 150g fully stocked SPS tank, I used about 20 pounds of reactor media in addition to kalk top off to maintain Ca and Alk per year. This tells me that anything comeing from the substrate is at best negligible.

fencer
10-30-2007, 06:04 AM
Calcium reactors require pH 6.4 and 6.8 for proper release of Ca from substrate in the reactor. The reef water apparently has a higher buffering capacity so the low pH does not affect the tank pH

Aquattro
10-30-2007, 06:26 AM
Yes, a reactor works best between 6.5 & 6.7. Ca will start to dissolve though in the high 7's. The low pH in a reactor is dripped back into the tank at such a slow rate that off gassing of the CO2 is quick and the high Alk will cover any other difference. Mainly though just dripping the effluent into the system flow will remove any CO2.

Aquattro
10-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Here is a great link to Ca reactors. Follow the links at the bottom for articles expanding on the chemistry by Craig Bingman and Randy Holmes-Farley.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

mark
10-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Know in the 3 years I had a DSB it's level did drop and would need to add more sand occasionally. Some of it, even with sand sifters was probably compaction, but some of it must of dissolved.

Now did I rely of even think of the sand to maintain my waters parameters, no, for that was water changes.

IceTurf
10-30-2007, 02:35 PM
could be the sand/minerals dissolve bit by bit normally, but not optimally in your average reef aquarium

mark
10-30-2007, 03:13 PM
could be the sand/minerals dissolve bit by bit normally, but not optimally in your average reef aquarium

Again, that's why some rely on a reactor.

IceTurf
10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
lol yea ok tks guys, i think I've got my answer