PDA

View Full Version : Play snad

Atlantic
01-21-2003, 03:26 PM
i found some play sand at my local hardware store..
its not southdown...but it is salt free and washed...its only $5.00 for a 20kg bag, do you guys think it will be safe to use, it is very fine, like sugar...feels really good... :? any thoughts?

Bob I
01-21-2003, 04:31 PM
i found some play sand at my local hardware store..
its not southdown...but it is salt free and washed...its only $5.00 for a 20kg bag, do you guys think it will be safe to use, it is very fine, like sugar...feels really good... :? any thoughts?

If it is Silica Sand it should be fine. It may have sharp corners though, so it might be too rough. If you can find an abrasives supplier, you might want to try glass beads, or peening beads. I find it excellent. I use #6. Others use a mix of #10 and #13. Another very good choice is Pool Filter sand, which is available at your Spa supplier. It is Silica, but screened to one size, and not sharp. It cost me $15.00 a bag. It is not white however.
Hope this helps. :D

Atlantic
01-21-2003, 04:41 PM
its not silica, i have that in my FW tank, it is much finer, its childrens play sand, very very fine...

Bob I
01-21-2003, 04:51 PM
its not silica, i have that in my FW tank, it is much finer, its childrens play sand, very very fine...

I guess the only sand I know is Silica Sand, but then I am out West. Down your way they might use something else for playsand. What it would be is unknown to me.

Atlantic
01-21-2003, 06:28 PM
well maybe, here silica sand is corser, a little bit bigger. it looks really good in FW tanks, but for a deep sand bed in a SW, ive been told to use sand that is like sugar, which is what the play sand is like that im talking about. i guess i just want to make sure that it will be ok, im planing on letting my tank cycle for 4mts anyway, so i guess whatever impurities that maybe in there would be gone by the time fish were introduced...
thanks for the replys rcipema

Quinn
01-21-2003, 06:42 PM
wouldn't people on the coasts be able to just run down to the beach and get a few buckets of regular sand? you could bake it on cookie trays to sterilize it, then sift through it to remove debris (i used to do this for my turtle).

Atlantic
01-21-2003, 11:43 PM
i have no idea...but since there is about 4-5 ft of ice and snow everywhere i guess that option is out of the question...hahaha well its only $5 for 20kg bag anyway, a lot cheaper then $50 for a 40lbs bag of crushed coral... :roll:

BCOrchidGuy
01-22-2003, 03:44 AM
Ice and Snow???? Oh yeah your on the Rock, should be in BC... heck ice n snow... we see it on TV