PDA

View Full Version : Ozone?

untamed
10-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I am considering adding Ozone to my system. Who is currently doing this, and what Ozone generator do you recommend? Any bad experiences?

Tom R
10-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi Brad

My understanding is that you can not use OZONE with the ASM skimmers. You will have to research this. Wendel at OA once told me that the ASM line of skimmers is not strong enough to run OZONE over a period of time it will turn the plastic parts brittle.

Tom R

untamed
10-28-2007, 06:08 PM
RE: Ozone killing my ASM G6

Yes, I've considered that. I expect it would take a while to do it in, though. (What's it going to do...leak more? ha...ha..) It has always been brittle.

I've already decided on my replacement skimmer. Having my G6 die might just be the motivation I need to order it!

So...that would be a "I don't use ozone." from Tom (G5) R. That's a pretty good testimonial for NOT using Ozone. Do you run carbon, Tom?

Pescador
10-28-2007, 06:24 PM
If you haven't already check these out in the reference library.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22097

I'm running a 200mg Red Sea controller and have had no problems. If you are not using a skimmer there are not alot of choice for reactors, I only know of two, the MTC and the ALS (not counting the Coralife).
More info on page 4 of this thread
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26738&page=4&highlight=ozone+reactor

It's recommended to run ozone effectively and safely you should use a skimmer or an ozone reactor with a controller, an air dryer, air pump, and carbon filtration on the water and air outputs.

Tom R
10-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi Brad

I run 3 cups of carbon in a micro mesh bag. I change out the carbon monthly. Running carbon is one of the ZEOvit requirements. I have not looked into the use of OZONE on a system running ZEOvit. I know Chin Lee has always run OZONE so you should contact him.

Tom R

Chin_Lee
10-28-2007, 07:37 PM
i run ozone through my beckett skimmer. Its controlled by milwaukee ORP controller and I set mine around 420. I dont' run carbon for the ozone because my skimmer outputs to a separate chamber before overflowing into an area that is inhabited by animals. Ozone is supposed to be so unstable if it gets injected into a skimmer, there is really no possiblity that it will come out of the skimmer without the extra oxygen particle getting knocked off.
Ozone will make extruded plastic brittle in no time. I used to inject the ozone through a john guest fitting and within a week or two, that fitting will break if I apply any pressure to it.
Delbeek also spoke highly of it when talking about the equipment used in the Waikiki aquarium.

fishface
10-28-2007, 07:50 PM
I have not looked into the use of OZONE on a system running ZEOvit. I know
ozone and zeovit should not be run together, ozone tends to interfere with the bacterial process you're trying to archive with the zeoit.

untamed
10-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Whew!!! There's my weekend reading completed. (don't you just LOVE reading Holmes-Farley's stuff...sometimes I print it and just read it over and over until it finally gets through to me)

Thanks for the informative links.

Tom R
10-29-2007, 03:32 AM
Hi Brad

This looks like a good deal if you are thinking OZONE.

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36687

Tom R

untamed
10-29-2007, 05:16 AM
Thanks...yes, I saw that advertisement. I will be wanting my Aquatronica to be controlling the ozone, so I don't really need the controller portion of what he is selling, and that accounts for a lot of his asking price.

I also have to give a lot of thought to how I'm going to work it into the system. I'm kind of liking Holmes-Farley's tubing reactor, but I need time to figure it all out.