PDA

View Full Version : Possibly 90 lbs of baserock?

kwirky
10-25-2007, 05:45 PM
I moved out, but kept my large 40g bin of liverock at my mom's. School's been too busy for me to go over there and do regular maintenance. So the rock's sat for about 2 months without a water change and there was a stretch where the pump (a big aquaclear HOB) was run dry for an entire week. My mom hasn't been the most diligent keeper.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's worth keeping or whether it's base rock now?

All the coraline's turned white of course, since there's no light. I'm wondering if it's well cured/cooked rock just prime for a tank, or whether it's useless baserock now?

It doesn't smell, because the aquaclear HOB's FULL of carbon.

Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of using some of the rock to start a 20g nano with equipment I have kicking around. But I have to buy a light. I don't want to put any money out on liverock if my own rock's no good. I'm on a shoestring budget... Just paid for an engagement ring :D

Shipwreck
10-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I would say it is still okay to use. Not quite base rock but probably not teaming with life. I woul use your rock and see if a local aquariust would trade you 1-2 pounds from their tank to help reintroduce stuff like coraline and bugs.

Der_Iron_Chef
10-25-2007, 07:50 PM
If it were me, I would put the rock you want to use in new water, like you're curing it, and in a week or so, test it for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc. That should tell you whether or not it's good to go.

kwirky
10-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Yeah I think it could be "seeded" with some good rock. I've just gotta get together a light.

I read on GARF about smashing up a rock and sprinkling it but I feel that's going to give crud on the bottom rather than seed it.

Shipwreck
10-26-2007, 02:53 PM
To seed I would just use a couple of small pieces from an established tank. Also you can get some coraline scrappings off of someones tank and sprinkle that around. I wouldn't smash up a rock to sprinkle, it will just make a mess and disrupt all of the bacteria/bugs that live in the rock.