PDA

View Full Version : sps frag tank

adidas
10-24-2007, 09:34 PM
i'm thinking of building a frag tank for sps. what size do you guys think I should get? i was thinking like 60" x 10" x 10"? or something similiar.

Pan
10-24-2007, 09:37 PM
How many frags do you plan on having :)

Moogled
10-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Amen to that. That's a whole lotta frags, friend!

Borderjumper
10-24-2007, 11:06 PM
i'm thinking of building a frag tank for sps. what size do you guys think I should get? i was thinking like 60" x 10" x 10"? or something similiar.

Thats pretty narrow. I just had one built. Its 36longx20widex16"high. I really like it.

Der_Iron_Chef
10-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Maybe you could rent out frag tank real estate :) That sounds like a pretty huge frag tank...but pretty awesome.

wickedfrags
10-25-2007, 12:45 AM
The one I just got is 48"l x 36"w x 8"h, not hooked up yet.

Quagmire
10-25-2007, 03:35 AM
I would think your light spread might be a good indicator for an idea of size.Not sure what your using for lights,but as an example lets say you have a t5 fixture 60" long you would be good for length, but at 10" width you would have a lot of light being wasted outside the tank due to the spread being more than 10" in width.( or maybe not if it only had a couple bulbs)Maybe check out what size of tank would maximize your available light.Sort of a cost effective thing.

adidas
10-25-2007, 10:53 PM
I would think your light spread might be a good indicator for an idea of size.Not sure what your using for lights,but as an example lets say you have a t5 fixture 60" long you would be good for length, but at 10" width you would have a lot of light being wasted outside the tank due to the spread being more than 10" in width.( or maybe not if it only had a couple bulbs)Maybe check out what size of tank would maximize your available light.Sort of a cost effective thing.

good point, so maybe wider and not as long.

adidas
10-25-2007, 10:54 PM
How many frags do you plan on having :)

how many is too many? lol

michika
10-25-2007, 11:17 PM
There is no such thing as too many :D

smp
11-02-2007, 02:28 PM
My frag tank was 24" x 24" and 8" tall.
This was perfect for one metal halide pendant.
When constructing a frag tank I think it's important to maximize your light and equipment potential. The frag tank I just mentioned was only 20 gallons but it could hold a LOT of frags and all of them had great light and water motion with only one nanostream pump.
Think efficiency for a frag tank, at least, that's my opinion.

The benefit of a shallow tank is also better light penetration and it looks REALLY good! Top down is where it's at and if you're going to be selling these frags online you can take great top down shots.

If you're in Toronto I recently emptied that tank as I moved so it'll be up for sale soon. No more space for a frag tank.
BTW, it was plumbed to my display. Hard to keep 20 gallons of water at optimal conditions unless you plumb it to your main system.