PDA

View Full Version : Coral dying...?

TANGOMAN
01-19-2003, 09:46 PM
I mentioned earlier I picked up a Leather Finger Coral on Friday. It's day 3 and it aint lookin' too good. It's still "limp" I cut one piece to put in my 60g and the larger piece went in the 90g. I cut as I was advised but the large piece in the 90g seems to be "bleeding". Should I get it out or is that normal. I had moved it today to a different location with better cross-current and thats when it started to "bleed". I'm concerned about toxins ? The piece in the 60g is not bleeding but it too remains limp. Should it take this long to "return to life..."? :? Help !
This could be in the "reef board" but I figure there's some local experience.

StirCrazy
01-19-2003, 10:22 PM
are you running carbon? leathers and other softies release a lot of toxins into the water.. also I found that Leathers seam to want lots of light.. and my old one would get mad if I moved him out from under the light.

Steve

Canadian Man
01-19-2003, 10:22 PM
First thing,
I think you should have just left the coral and given it some time to get used to it's new surroundings. The leather corals will slough and shrivle up on a regular basis. Mine has done it and continuses to do it daily for sometimes a few hours to 2 days.

Give the coral some time to recover and just leave it in one spot. stop touching it and moving it. They will bleed a little bit but usually only for a few minutes or so.

cheers

TANGOMAN
01-19-2003, 10:48 PM
The "bleeding" has appeared to stop. The damn thing has fallen from it's recent placement so "I'm goin' back in" to move it. :evil: I agree I should have left it alone to "acclimate" before splitting. I should know better ! :oops: I'm so paranoid about "cross contamination" between tanks though so I thought I'd do it from the start. With both tanks just undergoing the "stocking process" I consider both of them a "parasitic time-bomb" right now... :oops: (Bad experiences in the past...? :roll: )
I am running carbon, (passive), and skimming. Up high prior to the fall so lots of light. Moderate cross current the best thing ? There is/was no risk of tissue damage resulting from exposure to air, as with sponges...?

Canadian Man
01-20-2003, 12:26 AM
Just keep a bit of current on it and give it some time to get better.
Most corals dont have any problems when exposed to air I just wouldnt start a no water coral reef setup :wink: :P