PDA

View Full Version : Running Return / Skimmer / Chiller on one pump?

Todd
10-23-2007, 06:56 AM
I am thinking of how I want to set up my new system and I am hoping to eliminate a few smaller loud pumps with one larger quiet pump. I would like to get 1200 gph to go though the skimmer and 600 gph to go though the sump / refugium. I would also like to have the option of running a chiller with the same pump in the future. So my question is this: Can I run one pump and T off the return and install ball valves so that I can use one pump to provide different amounts of flow to the return, skimmer and chiller?

What are some of the problems to this? One that I have thought of is that the flow to the skimmer could not be shut off for maintenance without shutting off the return as well. Also I would not be able to shut off the flow through the chiller regardless of it is was running or not. Are these issues worth rethinking the idea and are there any other issues?

Also if I were to go with a return hole drilled to accommodate a 1" pipe is this going to be acceptable for a pump with a 3/4" to 1.5" outlet? I am thinking that I can always use a 3/4" line for the return with a bigger bulkhead, and the pump I was using had a 1.5" outlet that I would not be directing all of the flow through there anyways.

Thanks

mark
10-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Sure one pump.

Run the pump into a manifold with a valve on each leg (tank, skimmer, chiller, spare) to adjust flow and to isolate. Might just take a bit to adjust to the desired volume in each leg as the interaction between each. Finer control with gate valves over ball valves.

Would also be able to remove skimmer and chiller as well without having to shut off return, just would probably need to adjust the valves on the active legs.

Problems I see is; would you have enough volume in the pump compartment to handle to flow and enough room in the sump for all the water if you lost power or took your skimmer and chiller off line.

As you suggest should be no problem with the 1" return since you only planning on 600gph back from you tank. Wouldn't reduce to 3/4" line as would limit if plans change and would be using the valve to reduce flow to tank anyways. Can restrict the outlet of pumps not the inlet.

Todd
10-25-2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am planning on building a custom sump, so I would be able to make the return chamber large enough to handle the 2000gph that would be required. I was thinking of having a large return chamber anyways to give me room to put probes, and a top up system in there.

Any way of knowing what the minimum size requirement would be to handle the volume?