PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 205 filter ok??

banditpowdercoat
10-23-2007, 03:39 AM
Hi, I am wondering how well the filter that came with my 45Ga corner tank will work for a FOWLR tank? It's a Fluval 205 cannister filter. I know Sumps are better, and plan to build one but for now, cycling the tank and getting a couple Ocellaris Clown and some invertebrates, will it be OK? I will be adding powerheads to increase water flow in the tank, thinking of a couple Hydor Korialis 3 heads.

Main thing I am wondering is should I pull this filter, ebay it for what I can get, and build/get a sump, or will it work to save cash right now. Still reeling form the $1000 price tag for the setup.

andresont
10-23-2007, 04:13 AM
Ok for now just make sure to get rid of the sponges, they are NO3 producing factories

banditpowdercoat
10-23-2007, 04:21 AM
So, Just take the sponge filter out and run the carbon packs and biomax?

EmilyB
10-23-2007, 04:49 AM
I use two large Aquaclears in my FOWLR. The sponges can actually act as a skimmer, unless you have one. I just make sure to clean the sponges often.

And since you are having powerheads for extra flow, that should be fine. :biggrin:

banditpowdercoat
10-23-2007, 04:52 AM
Ahh, ok, Checking and rinsing the filters weekly if needed is not a problem. The canister comes apart real nicely. Think it may be easier than my Aquaclear HOB in my freshwater :D

Der_Iron_Chef
10-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Yeah....it's really easy to not clean them, though! Just be diligent.

andresont
10-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Sponge will start making No3 in 3 days or so.
Once a week is not good enough IMO.
I would just get rid of the sponge period, run carbon and phosphate removal media BEFORE you get your hair algae.
Search this forum for GHA (hair algae) and you will see how much trouble it is.
Your live rock is phosphates “Home Depot" make sure you start filtering from day 1.

banditpowdercoat
10-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Sponge will start making No3 in 3 days or so.
Once a week is not good enough IMO.
I would just get rid of the sponge period, run carbon and phosphate removal media BEFORE you get your hair algae.
Search this forum for GHA (hair algae) and you will see how much trouble it is.
Your live rock is phosphates “Home Depot" make sure you start filtering from day 1.

Not sure I am understanding the Home Depot??

andresont
10-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Sorry i meant Phosphate depot LOL :redface:

banditpowdercoat
10-25-2007, 04:07 AM
OK, couple more Q's here. If I take the sponge out of the filter, what will filter the debris/detritus out of the water, or is it not much of a concern with a in tank overflow/surface skimming? Also, I will be building a Sump, maybe refugeum, but am limeted with space. I have read somewhere that the wet/dry type Sumps are not soo good? the ones that have sponge filter and Bioballs, liek this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280163157426

Basically, I have an idea what I am going to start out with, have an order here ready to go in to J&L
it's a 45Ga corner tank so,

40Lb Bahamas Oolite Live Sand
45Lb Tonga Rock
Instant Ocean Salt
Couple books
Saltwater test kit

RO/DI unit is on its way, waiting till it gets here befoer I order the sand/rock.
Was planing on a 4-8 week Cycle period, so that will/should get me familliar with mixing water, using the test kit etc. right?

During that time, I will be thinking of/looking for sump materials. Maybe I make one out of Lexan? I havnt even measured teh bottom but the stand has a devider in the middle so in order to have a sump of any considerable size, I will have to split it in 2. Half on each side of the stand.

Anyone here have a corner unit with sum under that can give me idea's?

kevinpaz
10-27-2007, 02:52 PM
no comment on the sump but i wanted to let you know about my cannister setup that works great....

i took all the stock items out, filled it 80% with live rock rubble, then put the sponge back on top, with a bag of carbon on top of that....

i take the lid off once a month and rinse the sponge in old tank water...

it works great in my FOWLR setup (on top of 2 x powerheads, skimmer) - never had a detectable level of no3...

[it's an eheim 2215 in a 65 gallon tank]