PDA

View Full Version : Son Agro/Radium Bulb Life

Bryan
01-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Hello:

I think we all agree, driving the Radium bulb with a Son Agro ballast(PFO HQI) is probably overdriving the lamp and reducing the life expectancy.

I am curious as to how long users of this setup are getting out of their bulbs. Can you push the bulb to the 10-12 month mark or are they history after 6-7 months.

Could one push the bulb to a 10-12 months if they increased the ON duration of the bulb. Start with say 8 hours and increase 20-30 minutes every month.

Stephane:

I know you are at the 5 month mark, how much longer do you predict you can get out of the bulbs.

StirCrazy
01-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Hello:

I think we all agree, driving the Radium bulb with a Son Agro ballast(PFO HQI) is probably overdriving the lamp and reducing the life expectancy.

no I don't agree with this at all.. ther eis a lot more that will affect bulbs life than a extra 30 watts.. for one the CCF on the Son Agro is lower than on a refulare 400 watt MH ballast.. this increases bulbs life. Also you are using a started instead of relying on open current volatage to start the bulbs.. this also increases bulb life..

so as you can see I am leaning towards the side that says it will actualy last longer over a regular 400 watt ballast.. but I have no proof.. only theorys.. which is the same as the other side.. no proof only theorys.. untell we can test them in a long term enviorment.. we will not know.

if I go to Brads once a month and test his it might be good but we are at month 1 of that test.

Steve

Aquattro
01-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Also, if the bulb lasts only 9 months, the cost per month is very close to the much more expensive Ushio 10k bulb. For pennies a day difference, I like the look better.
Personally I don't like the color from the "proper" M135 ballast, so to me, I don't care if it lasts forever.
Basically, as with all lighting questions, it comes down to what you want to pay for the "right look". And that look is different for everyone.

Bryan
01-20-2003, 06:28 AM
I believe the Radium is actually a 360 watt bullb, so it's being overdriven by 70 watts. But you bring up some good points. I guess time will tell how the bulbs hold up on this ballast.

[/quote]

no I don't agree with this at all.. ther eis a lot more that will affect bulbs life than a extra 30 watts.. for one the CCF on the Son Agro is lower than on a refulare 400 watt MH ballast..
Steve[/quote]

stephane
01-20-2003, 06:31 AM
We tested the m135 at 275 watt on a radium and from the guy who tested
(a lighting engener) he said this ballast underdrive the bulb and it will shorter the bulb life

he also tested the 400 wath sodium and said this ballast is the best ballast you could buy fot that bulb he also said the Agro will be harder on the bulb but how much we dont know but from my part I dont care I will keep my agro and keep the beautifull color

keep in mind that this bulb is not a 400 watt but a 360 watt energie saver
bulb

Here is a guy who have radium setup on agro for about 3 years and change is bulb at 12 month http://trailertrash.homestead.com/lights.html

Bryan
01-20-2003, 06:44 AM
Stephane:

When the bulb was tested with the 400 watt sodium what did you think, was it still too blue?. I am stuck between going with a 400 watt HPS or the 430 watt Son Agro.

he also tested the 400 wath sodium and said this ballast is the best ballast you could buy fot that bulb he also said the Agro will be harder

stephane
01-20-2003, 07:11 AM
We have not tested under a reef tank

If you want my opinion dont stuck between notting to save wath ever go for what people already use an love that way you will not have to buy twice :wink:

Bryan
01-22-2003, 04:56 AM
Stephane:

You are right. I picked up two Son Agro ballasts today and WOW do the Radiums look great on this ballast. I still prefer a little more blue so I may run my actinics on the tank as well.

stephane
01-22-2003, 05:46 AM
Glad you like them and you will like them even more in 3-4 month after you coral will realy color up