PDA

View Full Version : Disaster Narrowly Averted

Palster
10-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Last night when I went downstairs to feed my fish while I was opening the hood I noticed that it didn't seem to fit right. When I opened the hood I found out why. The center brace (which is a piece of glass siliconed across the middle) had let go on one side causing the glass to bow out quite substantially at the front and back. I immediately went and got one of my wood working clamps to clamp the glass back to the center brace. This seems to be holding everything for now but my dilemma is whether to try and fix this tank or to buy another one. The tank is a 135 gallon and I have been thinking of moving up to a 180 gallon someday. I guess the only good news is my wife is quite concerned about this tank letting go again if I was to fix it myself so she is reluctantly in favor of me buying another tank which means I would probably go for a 180. Has anyone had any luck repairing the center brace on a 6 foot tank and if so how did you do it? I assume the tank would have to be drained.

michika
10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm glad you caught that in time!

All I know is that silicone should not touch or get into your water, period! It causes disasters, e.g. fish die-off, etc.

Since you have the oppertunity a 180 may be a good choice now rather then buying another 135, and then again in the future buying a 180.

MikeP
10-22-2007, 04:23 PM
The 190g I have now was my dads. Years ago the center brace let go and he found it lying in the bottom of the tank one morning. That is ultimately why he took the tank down but he didn't even do it right away :eek: . Anyway when I picked up the tank I had it rebraced (and drilled for a return bulkhead). Although by the time I took the tank in paid the bill and picked it up I realized I should have just saved up a bit of money and had a new one made. There is no reason you can't fix it yourself but if this is an opportunity to get a new tank I say go for it.

Tom R
10-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I am sure that you can fix or can have it fixed, however I might be inclined to take this opportunity to replace it with the 180G and convince your wife that the 135G would be strong enough to be used as a sump and frag tank.

Tom R

cav~firez22
10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
I aggree with Tom, Upgrade to the 180 as now is as good a time as any, then with the 135 empty, you can repair the brace, and use it as a rather Large Sump. :)

Any opourtunity the wife gives me to upgrade something with the tanks. I TAKE IT!!

:lol:

spoot
10-22-2007, 05:22 PM
All I know is that silicone should not touch or get into your water, period! It causes disasters, e.g. fish die-off, etc.

What about the silicon used to seal glue the 5 panes of glass together? Or do you mean wet uncured silicone?

michika
10-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Wet uncured silicone. If it gets into your water your fish have breathing problems, and from there they begin to die very quickly.